Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #641
LowNotes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I brewed this back in January, as had a very vigorous fermentation even though I kept the temperature in the low 60's. I just kegged it last night. When I tasted my gravity sample, it tasted somewhat "hot" and harsh to me. My calculated ABV is 6.4%, so I'm not sure if what I was tasting was due to the higher-than-normal alcohol content, or if I might have some fusel alcohols present. The fermentation was vigorous enough to suggest it may have produced some off-flavours, but I fermented at the same temperature as all my other ales (basement, in a plastic pail full of water, covered with a wet t-shirt).

Has anyone else detected somewhat "harsh" flavours in this recipe initially? Will this age out? Will the CO2 help it mellow? Is this normal for this recipe?
I brewed this back in January too. I left it in primary for 3 weeks, bottled from there, and let them carb for 3 weeks before trying one. ABV was 6%, and after 3 weeks the beer didn't quite taste right, and there wasn't really any head to speak of. I might have described some of the flavors as "harsh", the beer certainly didn't ahve the smoothness I typically enjoy from a porter. I had to kind of force it down.

After the 4th week, I tried another one, it had the faintest head, maybe 1/8-1/4", but the flavors were remarkably improved. I had one yesterday afternoon, at the 4-week + 2-3 day mark, and while the head is still small, the flavors are now great. Quite a remarkable change from 10 days ago.

I'm still hoping that the beer will develop more head, but it isn't flat and is really enjoyable to drink as-is. I will probably add a small amount of carapils next time I brew it.

So in summary, I wouldn't worry, just let it rest a bit longer and it should turn out fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #642
billslaw1024
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Cheers EdWort. This is a fantastic porter. I used some whole leaf galena hops for bittering because we had them on hand.

robust-porter.jpg  

Last edited by billslaw1024; 03-05-2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: sp

Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #643
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Hey ed, I just brewed this recipe today and I wound up 7 points over your OG with a 1.072 (82% efficiency). The cascade/US northern brewer hops that I used were pretty high alpha so the ibu's came in at 50. Do you think this beer will still be balanced and drinkable? Just looking for some input so I can RDWHAHB. Switched from US pale to UK pale and I am getting 5% higher efficiency. Just wish I could have planned for that!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #644
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Bump...anyone have any insight on how my beer should come out? Debating whether I should dilute it or just let it ride. I am just worried that I will have overly sweet/strong porter on my hands.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #645
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben View Post
Bump...anyone have any insight on how my beer should come out? Debating whether I should dilute it or just let it ride. I am just worried that I will have overly sweet/strong porter on my hands.
As best I can recall (I brewed this last spring, still working on a few bottles), I came in with a somewhat high OG too....but it made great beer. Keep in mind that this is quite a strong porter, stronger than many stouts, and flavored accordingly.......so if you're worried about that, some dilution may be in order.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #646
brewinchef_fairfax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I should be brewing this as a partial mash (equipment related) on Saturday or Sunday...

8# (2 cans) Alexander Pale Malt Extract
1# 2-row
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 40
4 oz. Black Patent
1 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Flaked Barley

The rest will follow the original recipe. I plan on doing late additions with the LME.
Fingers crossed. My plan is 3 weeks primary and bulk age it for about 4 weeks in secondary and then bottle.
We shall see. By the time it's done I might be ready to keg and skip the bottle all together.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #647
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

@rico, I am aware that this is a big beer and I am very much ok with that. I for one am a fan of some of the biggest and richest imperial stouts that I can find. I am just concerned that this beer will come out either overly sweet, harsh or just out of balance in some sort of way. Thats why I am hoping that the high alpha content of my hops will save this one from being too unbalanced.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #648
LowNotes
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben View Post
I think you'll be fine. Mine came it at 1.070 and turned out great, and yours is just a little over that. It might take a little longer for the flavors to clean-up, and could be slightly higher ABV, but I'd say you are still in a good range for what the beer is supposed to be.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #649
Wheelspin
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Brewed this 3 weeks ago and got a OG of 1.075 - a full ten points over prediction.

All well and good and tastes great but now it won't drop below 1.026 and hasn't moved for 5 days. Should drop to 1.020 - 1.018.

Is this a problem, should I bottle now ? I'm quite reluctant to bottle now for fear of creating bottle bombs as I have in the past.

Is there a way to coax a drop to 1,020 ? I have roused the yeast on two occasions with minimal effect.

Could i pitch another packet of Notties ?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #650
x01203
Recipes 

Not sure what your fermentation temp is, but you could try warming it up about 5-10 degrees to see if it'll wake up a little. Also, maybe using a sanitized racking cane to give it some light quiet stirring to get the yeast back in suspension. Just make sure you don't splash. Don't want any oxidation. Had some success doing that in the past.

Quick Reply