Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #591
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just brewed this for a second time (3rd brew ever) and it went much better and smoother. Did extract and had a OG of 1.063. Just bottled it and had a FG of 1.020. I believe my first time I had a FG of 1.018. So got about 5.6%

I am just wondering how I could get the yeast to eat up some more sugars? Both times the notti went crazy and the first three days held at about 76-78 degrees and then I held it at 64 for 3 weeks in the primary. Any ideas?

Thanks

Oh and it tasted great, but watery. I am assuming that is a green beer characteristic from what I read on these forums?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #592
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I routinely make this without the malto dextrin and love the bite of it. Was cleaning out my keezer the other day, and realized that I still had half of keg of this (line had clogged somehow, just assumed it was out).

Needless to say that was a good day

Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #593
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourrealdad
I am just wondering how I could get the yeast to eat up some more sugars? Both times the notti went crazy and the first three days held at about 76-78 degrees and then I held it at 64 for 3 weeks in the primary. Any ideas?
You'd be better off doing the opposite; hold it for 2 days at 64 then let it rise up. That let's the yeast concentrate on the growth phase before the big gorge. You could also do a starter or pitch an extra packet.

You could also cut back or eliminate the maltodextrin if your aim is simply a drier beer.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #594
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
You'd be better off doing the opposite; hold it for 2 days at 64 then let it rise up. That let's the yeast concentrate on the growth phase before the big gorge. You could also do a starter or pitch an extra packet.

You could also cut back or eliminate the maltodextrin if your aim is simply a drier beer.
I have the ability to control the temp on the colder side (just bought a chest freezer), if I keep it around 64 will the yeast be able to heat it back up like they normally do if I don't control the temps? I have no way to heat the beer up.

I was also thinking of using maybe 1 1/2 or 2 packets of Notti. Would that be too much yeast?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #595
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The yeast will be able to remain active, and that activity will warm it up. I always chill to 64 degrees for pitching ales. Currently I don't have the ability to control temp overseas, so I let it ramp from there. Unfortunately, most standard ale strains exceed the 72 room temp within 12 hours and continue the climb to the upper 70s. I'd prefer to keep it below 68 the whole time, but I can't right now.

2 packets would not be too much. Using Mr. Malty's calculator, with fresh packets you'd need 1.4 packets. Assuming you don't have a brand new pack, 2 will probably be perfect.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #596
ddrrseio
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i know this is a total curve ball, but i'd like to come somewhere near this with the runnings of an imperial stout i'm making this sunday.

the basic grain bill is
17 lb 2row
3 lb munich
1.5 lb black
1 lb choc
14 oz special B
12 oz caramunich

OG=1.106

i plan to go ahead with the hop schedule, maltodextrine and notty yeast. any suggestions on what grains, if any, i could throw in for the partigyle mash to give the beer the right color and flavor level? i'm not very experienced with partigyle brewing and i'd appreciate any advice! i realize i won't hit it exactly, but i'd love to get the general flavor and gravity.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #597
jtmwhyte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just sampled my first batch. FG hit 1.015 and it tastes AMAZING heading to the keg. I'm planning to do another batch next week and oak half in the secondary. A new staple for the buckets!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #598
redcoat_or_rebel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My brew partner and I split a 10 gallon batch of this recipe back in mid-November and I am about 4 days into carb-ing in bottles. This was my first Porter and I have to say it was delicious from wort to finish. I had to switch the Roasted Barley and Black Patent amounts because the LHBS was out of stock. We intended on making it into a coffee porter but it was too good the way it turned out.

We got poor efficiency due to too many homebrews while brewing
but the recipe makes up for it in flavor.

Pitched S-05.

Great batch! Cheers

Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #599
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yes. This recipe is so good the way it is in the OP that I've never thought to change it, and I'm on my......batch. Can't really remember how many.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #600
RCBIV
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Question for those who have brewed this recipe:

I brewed it a few weeks back, let it ferment for about four weeks, then I moved it to bottles. I tried the first bottle last Thursday. It was only a week in the bottle, so it was very under carbed. But here's the issue: I'm getting a lot of sweetness and a lot of booziness to the taste. Is this normal? Did I screw something up? I'm a little worried because I brewed it on a brand new setup so I didn't really have my system down to a T (and I still don't).

I also think it will help once I have a good amount of carbonation, but I figured I'd ask...

Quick Reply