Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yuengling Black & Tan Clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
UNOmar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yuengling Black & Tan Clone?

Has anyone ever tried to clone Yuengling's Black & Tan? I realize this probably requires 2 batches as it is a mix of their porter and premium (pilsener) beer. I was just wondering if it would make sense to brew a porter, ferment, then rack 50/50 into separate secondaries and start over with the pilsener. I'm not setup to even try anything like this yet (I have 0 Carboys as of now), but would love to clone a Black & Tan in the future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

You've kind of got the right idea...you need to brew a porter/stout and a lager/pale ale and take them both to completion separately, as in bottled/kegged separately. You would then pour the black & tan using a bottle of each (or from the tap).

Now I realize Yuengling bottles theirs as one mixture...if you really wanted to go that route you would still ferment to completion separately (don't mix the batches in the fermenter IMO) and then during bottling put half of each into a bottle.

If you try to mix them in the fermenter, wouldn't they just stratify like they do in a glass? Beats me. I always though b&t's screwed up the flavor of my stout (or my ale, depending on your perspective).

Old 02-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know about brewing a black and tan rather than just making one the old fashioned way, but i can add that I drank several thousand yuengling lagers in college and it is still my favorite domestic "session" beer.

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Old 02-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Does anybody have a Yuengling clone recipe?

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 02-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
UNOmar
Recipes 

Ok, so now I'm envisioning 2 bottling buckets with hoses running into a "Y" and then to a bottling wand. I wonder how well that would work to make sure equal portions. I might actually give this a shot sometime. I'm sure the parts could be obtained from Menards/Home Depot.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't have a recipe, but I did just get a 12er of YBandT dropped off from a friend that was driving through PA. I love it.

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 02-08-2006, 05:02 AM   #7
Lost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Funny, this is my dad's favorite beer.. I could easily turn him onto some more highend stuff but why.. he is so happy with such a good downhome cheap beer. Myself, I love their lager too.. mmmm plain great no frills beer for the price of clydesdale piss!

My feeling about black and tan's is this... traditionally you pour two beers into one nice, tall pilsner class and end up with two pretty much seperate layers. It is quite tasty.. rich but no so much that you can't have another... it's also a versatile technique for the homebrewer because you need only brew and bottle two batches in order to have 3 different kinds of beer ready to go! But when the black and tan comes premixed it is, in my thinking at least, a medium to light bodied porter. Sure, you could just brew a porter and come pretty close to the black and tan effect but you lose something in the process. If you go to the trouble to brew two batches then at least bottle them seperately - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Next time you're at the bar ask the barkeep to mix up a black and tan with some yuengling and guiness.. see how you feel about the results....

Whatever you chose to do, let me know how it turns out. I'd love to brew a batch for dear old dad. He sure did love it last time I came home with a case of homebrew for him.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:11 AM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Funny, this is my dad's favorite beer.. I could easily turn him onto some more highend stuff but why.. he is so happy with such a good downhome cheap beer. Myself, I love their lager too.. mmmm plain great no frills beer for the price of clydesdale piss!

My feeling about black and tan's is this... traditionally you pour two beers into one nice, tall pilsner class and end up with two pretty much seperate layers. It is quite tasty.. rich but no so much that you can't have another... it's also a versatile technique for the homebrewer because you need only brew and bottle two batches in order to have 3 different kinds of beer ready to go! But when the black and tan comes premixed it is, in my thinking at least, a medium to light bodied porter. Sure, you could just brew a porter and come pretty close to the black and tan effect but you lose something in the process. If you go to the trouble to brew two batches then at least bottle them seperately - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Next time you're at the bar ask the barkeep to mix up a black and tan with some yuengling and guiness.. see how you feel about the results....
I totally agree--make your own black and tans. Buy a cool Brutul to mix them. Lost is right--you'll potentially have 3 good beers around if you don't premix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkewedAle
Does anybody have a Yuengling clone recipe?
Instead of trying to brew a lager--I'd go with a nice cream ale recipe--it'll get you very close to a "Yeungling clone" type beer.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
I totally agree--make your own black and tans. Buy a cool Brutul to mix them. Lost is right--you'll potentially have 3 good beers around if you don't premix it.
I bought one of those last year from Austin Homebrew to get a marginal order > $60...they're way cool! I never drink b&t's, but the brutul is a cool bottle opener by itself, and I use it to make b&t's at parties as a parlor trick.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:43 AM   #10
merc
Recipes 

I need one of those. I could watch the video all night.....
But here is my favorite page... so many ideas

edited to get the proper frame url

Last edited by merc; 02-09-2006 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply