HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Your go to yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
dbrewski
This is my User Title
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Your go to yeast?

I'm looking for yeast suggestions. I do mostly hoppy american pales and IPA's with an occasional hefeweizen or dunkel. I use 1056 a lot, S-05 (same), S-04, I love Kolsch yeast, and I use 3068 weihenstephan for the wheat beers. But I am getting bored of my selection. I am not big into belgians only because I have not gone there yet. I'm looking for something that is a step away from what I'm doing, not a leap. What are your favorite yeasts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

"go to" yeast tends to be be the most universal or common ones, so there's not much beyond what you mentioned. 05 is mine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Wyeast 1335, 1882-PC, 1318, and 1728. I've been using 1335 and 1882-PC for most of my brews for a while now. I'm actually planning on harvesting the cake from the brew I made last weekend with 1882-PC and keeping it on hand. Right now I'm just using older smack-packs with two step starters. After next weekend's brew day I'll have used up the old packs and will look to harvest to keep it on hand.

I also keep an array of Lalvin yeast packs for when I want to make something other than beer.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 54

You listed the ones I go to. It may be a leap, but for wheat beers I like WLP566 or 565 (Saison yeasts) if you think your yeast isn't adding enough character try these. Although for highly hopped beers it might be a train wreck. I only mention them because it seems like you might want to try a Belgian beer.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 10-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For pales and IPA's 05 is my go to. For wheat brews I really like S-33 or WLP-320 depending on my mood. I almost always have some of each in my fridge.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
dbrewski
This is my User Title

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toga View Post
For pales and IPA's 05 is my go to. For wheat brews I really like S-33 or WLP-320 depending on my mood. I almost always have some of each in my fridge.
I randomly went with the S-33 when a batch I had did not kick off (I sat on the smack pack too long). It was good, definitely had character, but a little dry for my taste. Is that your experience with it? It might have been my grain bill (it was a Surly Bitter AG kit).

Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts

chico, wlp400, wlp810 (easy lagers at ale temps), and I like wlp500 for anything you want some spice to. I must say though, I made a dubbel with WLP400 and WLP500 and they both turned out similar. I think 500 flocs better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
dbrewski
This is my User Title

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
You listed the ones I go to. It may be a leap, but for wheat beers I like WLP566 or 565 (Saison yeasts) if you think your yeast isn't adding enough character try these. Although for highly hopped beers it might be a train wreck. I only mention them because it seems like you might want to try a Belgian beer.
I like to have a malty low-hopped brew on hand, so these might be worth trying. I had a bad experience with a saison when I first got back into brewing...it was the Wyeast farmhouse saison. It was a little strong tasting for me, but it could have been my technique, I was a little rusty (although I can't blame high ferm temps if the yeast is supposed to be good up to 80).

Have you tried the 568 blend? I'm wondering if that would be a good intro.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 390

1728 because it can produce a huge variety of flavors. 1056 is my backup and used for experiments and smash brews.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
dbrewski
This is my User Title

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosapien View Post
1728 because it can produce a huge variety of flavors. 1056 is my backup and used for experiments and smash brews.
Have you used it outside of the context of dark, malty beers? What kind of flavors are you getting out of it?

Quick Reply