Yes, another recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dale1038

Reaction score
Did my first partial mash following deathbrewer's tutorial this weekend. I ended up having a 4.5 gallon boil...melted and warped the stovetop with the heat and weight. :rockin:

Need 1 more batch going for the pipeline. Here's a PM ESB recipe I came up with after looking at a few AG recipes. I don't know my hop AA%'s yet, and haven't decided on a yeast. I'd like to keep the alcohol high, maybe even get it a little higher. I'm looking for something similar to fullers. Also, the 2 row will be maris otter. Let me know what you think.

04A. Bitter And English Pale Ale, Ordinary Bitter Partial

Stats
OG 1.049
FG 1.012
IBU 23
ABV 4.8 %
SRM 9

Specifics
Boil Volume 3 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
64.5 % 5.00 American Two-row Pale 27.8 1.8
3.2 % 0.25 American Crystal 40L 1.3 2.0
3.2 % 0.25 American Crystal 90L 1.2 4.5
3.2 % 0.25 Belgian Biscuit 1.1 1.2
25.8 % 2.00 Amber Dry Malt Extract 18.0 5.0

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time
25.0 % 0.50 East Kent Goldings Pellet 60 0.053
25.0 % 0.50 Fuggles Pellet 20 0.019
25.0 % 0.50 East Kent Goldings Pellet 10 0.011
25.0 % 0.50 Fuggles Pellet 5 0.009

I would do 1 ounce EK for 60 and 1 ounce Fuggle for 20 otherwise the way it is now you're IBUs will be around 13. (assuming 5% aa for both hops) One ounce of each will get you around 27.

While I think you're on the right track, you've got too complicated a grist. Simplify!

PM with 2 pounds of Maris Otter, 1 lb of flaked maize and 1 lb of 55-60L UK Crystal. Use Muntons Light DME to get to 1.060 (late addition). That's it! That's all you need.

Fuller's ESB uses, according to the Fuller's website, a "unique blend of Northdown, Target, Challenger and Goldings hops". Noted beer author Roger Protz describes "spicy hops in the mouth, with a profound Goldings peppery note in the long finish".

All of these varieties are "spicy", but Goldings are definitely evident in the finish. I'd reserve Goldings for the very latest additions, then, and consider a bit of dry-hopping with them. Northdown are quite fruity as well as spicy, giving hints of citrus. I'd use those for a flavor addition. That leaves Target and Challenger as a bittering mix; I prefer the flavor of Challenger to that of Target, and homebrewers usually can't get Target anyhow.

Use a nice, fruity English yeast, and you should have a really fine ESB!

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks, I went out and got everything on the way home before getting to these posts. Figured I'd wing it, so I have

5 lb. Maris Otter
.5 lb. Crystal 60L
.25 lb Biscuit
.25 lb Munich
3 lb x-light dme

1oz Fuggles(60)
.75 Goldings(60)
1oz Goldings(20)
.25 Goldings (5)

WLP 002 yeast

I think they may have had some Challenger so I may grab some to replace the Fuggle. I should have kept it simpler, but I should be good here right? The only thing that may be off is the color. I could grab .25 lb of chocolate to make it more to style if I have to.

I'd leave it. That grist ought to get you close enough to spot-on color. I'd definitely grab some Challenger to replace the Fuggles; Fuggles are a very nice flavor/aroma variety, nice enough that I'd want to not waste them (or the Goldings) as a bittering charge.

Don't forget to make a starter with that WLP 002 if you can; one vial isn't really enough for five gallons of a wort of that OG.

Bob

Back