The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yerba Mate Stout creation help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
rgcalsaverini
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yerba Mate Stout creation help.

As a lover of stout and an adept of adding regional character to beer, I toughth of making a Yerba Mate Stout.
Yerba Mate is a great tasting, very strong, bitter, tanninic and caffeinated herb largely consumed on south america, I plan on adding a yet unknown volume of cold infused roasted Mate to the secondary and maybe a hint more on bottling day if needed.
It does have a lot of potential, my only concern is how to balance the added bitterness and if the high amount of tannins could spoil the beer.

Should I reduce my hops as to keep the bitterness down?

The recipe I plan on adding it to is this one:

Batch size: 6.6 gal

Pale Malt 8.5 pounds
Unmalted Barley 2
Unmalted Roasted Barley 1.3
Cara Malt 0.7
Weat malt 0.4
Coffe Malt 0.27
Goldings (45 min) 1.9 oz

I would love to hear the more experienced brewer's insight. Have anybody tried brewing with mate yet?

Edit: After some preliminary tasting I've decided to add arround 2.38 oz of roasted yerba mate to the 6.6 gal batch, it does bring a subtle tasty flavour.
But also, due to the mate's alcalinity all of the stout sourness was gone and a mild unpleasant leathery and soapy flavours were present... Should I acidify the infusion before adding it? Will those flavours wash off after fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
rgcalsaverini
Recipes 

Just brewed it yesterday. OG was a tad lower than what I aimed for, but I'm sure it'll turn out alright. As soon as the yeast settles down I'll add the mate and post the findings.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Chemkreation
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

How are you adding the Yerba? Are you just adding the leaves or are you actually steeping them first? Im looking into a yerba beer for a friend of mine that drinks it daily. We just cant get Mateveza here in Jersey, so we are going to try and make it.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
rgcalsaverini
Recipes 

I let the leaves sit on an airtight glass container with water at room temperature for 3 days than I use a sanitized coffee strainer to separate the tea from the leaves, then add the liquid to secondary. I use ROASTED Mate, which, in my opinion, its far friendlier to beer (namely stouts) at a rate of 0.33 to 0.47 oz/gal. If you are using raw mate you might want to use a little less of it.

There are a few things to watch for when using Mate:
- Mate might add a lot of tannins to your beer, and even make it taste like cloth. Only use good, freshly roasted mate (which I believe must be hard to get out of south america)
- Do not, I repeat, do not let your mate get in contact with water above 180F, it will taste like satan's ass, seriously.
- I found that adding the leaves directly to the fermenter extract more tannins than I normally want to.
- Its darn tasty if you do it right

Quick Reply