Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yerba mate recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #21
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Well, that is how I make my yerba mate, (which I am drinking right now actually), but I didn't think of that at the time.

BTW, what brands/grades are commonly drank down there? I think we are getting the mostly the stuff full of stems up here unless it's from Guyimaki, which is relly expensive.

Cruz de Malta is pretty cheap around here but it's the stuff with the red label. I'm drinking Amanda right nowm but it was hard to find. It did come with a ceramic gourd and a SS bombilla though.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
Blanda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, if you ever try these in a batch, let me know how it's turns out!!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #23
Zacharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you should try CBSe brand, its reallllly good and has a hint of mint in it.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #24
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would think that anyone who has never had Mate' is in for a SHOCK. You get used to it after a while, but the first time is like when you've ever taken your first megadose of vitamin B. I gave it to some guys at work - one guy got jitters - the other said he had big trouble falling asleep that night. And these guys were BIG coffee drinkers.
This would be like Drew Carey's BUZZ BEER.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:36 AM   #25
Sebowski
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Update?
Has anyone tried making the tea and putting it right in the fermenter as suggested?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
dpaul420
Recipes 

Default MateVeza 2.0

Well, here we go again. It is just over 1 year since I made my very first batch of homebrew, and the style was a hybrid experiment. Since it was my first batch, I used a 5 gallon IPA extract kit. Once it was ready for the secondary, I 'dry hopped' a 500g package of yerba mate. It was a regular mate, not a fruit or herbal one. After a couple weeks in the secondary I drained the soaking mate from the wort and bottled it.

After a couple of weeks of bottle fermentation (I did not have the homebrewing patience yet, and I could wait any longer) I tried it out and wow! First off it was CLOUDY! I did not know yet that there was something I could use to clarify the beer. But who really cares. Also, I swear it was less yellow and more of a pale green color!

Second, the bitterness hits you hard at the front end, but mellow out a bit as you start to taste the hops and less of the mate. Also, the punch of the imperialness (I hadnt the expertise or equipment at the time to calculate the ABV) was quite strong.

All in all, a strong, extra bitter beer, that when a few bottles were consumed, there was a noticeable difference in the feeling you would get over a normal strong beer. My only complaint was that the overall bitterness of the beer was not balanced enough by any malty or sweet flavors. I wish I could have tested it's IBUs!

Sorry, this is getting long winded.

Now, just one year later, I wish to improve on my first creation. Building on what I know, a few things are going to change this time around. First, how I will add the mate. Either I am going to soak the mate in 70-80 Celsius water (I never use water hotter than that when I drink it, which is a few time a week) and add the water and mate to the secondary, or just the water. Too be honest I didnt mind the bitterness from having the beer soaking up all the mate goodness, I just want it to be a little sweeter this time out, to balance it out nicely.

The previous posts about agave nectar have piqued my interest. I am also still going to go for a imperial style IPA. I have been making all-grain beers for the last 3 batches, but I may not have time to do right now so as I work full time and go to school part time. I want this beer now!

Sorry this got so long, I just wanted to share my experience with a MateVeza (the term the guy who got me into homebrewing and I came up with for it)

I hope to hear about more beers made with yerba mate!! At least I will keep you posted here on how my 2.0 batch goes when I get to it this spring.

Dakota

Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
dpaul420
Recipes 

I did it, made a Mateveza 2.0!

First step: Prepare Mate
-I was going to start by making a vodka infusion of the mate, but after I dumped 1/3 of a bottle of Skyy vodka into 250g of mate (Taragui - Citricos del Litoral), it was soaked up by the mate. An actually infusion would require more vodka and less mate. I proceeded to throw the remaining 250g of mate into the bowl, added a 2 cups of cane sugar, and 2L of 80 degree celcius water. Mixed it all up, covered it, and went to my local homebrew shop.

Second step: Prepare Beer
I picked up a BrewHouse (non-extract) kit http://www.thebrewhouse.com. These brewhouse kits are apparently just unfermented beer, rather than concentrated malt extract syrup.
I chose the IPA, and am aiming at making it an IIPA. I added less water than asked for, even including the 2L of mate tea concoction I strained from the yerba mate. The wort is in my primary bucket, and in a few days I will rack to my secondary, dry hop it with additional hops and the remaining yerba mate from earlier.

This beer will really be out there, with the added suger, less water, and vodka added, it will be hard to say how high the ABV will get! Not to mention the high IBU's and extra bitterness from the mate. Also, the mate was a Coastal Citrus blend, meaning some of the dried fruit in the mate may impart some citrus flavor.
As long as all the added sugar does not get converted to alcohol, the added sweetness should balance out the high ABV and mate/hops bitterness. We will see in a month.

Dakota

Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #28
Sebowski
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm trying a version of this next week.
I am going to put the yerba in a French Coffee Press to make a "tea" out of it, and I am going to use a Nugget Nectar clone for it, and a yerba with orange peels.
Besides those decisions I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm either going to add the tea in the primary, or at bottling.
Can't wait to do this. I've only been brewing for a few months, but have been thinking about this beer for a couple years. It is one of the reasons I dove in to brewing.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #29
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Default Yerba Update

It's 2011 and I drink Yerba on a rate that equals an Ecuadorian, Argentinian or a Paraguayian.. Yerba Mate should never be used in a liquid that is boiling. Should be 90 Celsius maximum. Besides ancient practices that state that boiled water is "dead" or "burnt" and shouldn't be used in a brew Yerba even when thus cooled, for the non-believer, at boiling temps, Yerba Mate will have an extremely tannic, bitter, foul taste.

So, if whether you drink it as teat or use it in your brew of beer, do NOT use boiling water. If used in a beer, soak your yerba in 80c - 90c water for several minutes and then add the add it to your primary, or whatever vessel you prefer. You can either add just the tea or the leafs/stems as well. I should note that Yerba is full of beer friendly nutrients and may help feed yeast.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #30
Sebowski
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good tips Denny. Must common way to mess up Yerba Mate is to boil the water.

I don't think putting the leaves and stems in would do anything beneficial. They get "spent" fairly quickly. Better to use them to make a concentrate and dump it in.

Denny convinced me to add to primary. If it doesn't come out perfect I'll add it at bottling next time.

If I like my result I think I'll do a porter with a Brazilian Yerba I just tried that reminded me a little of coffee. I think using the right Yerba with the right recipe is key.

Quick Reply