Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yerba mate recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #11
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Well it's been over two weeks in the bottle and this tastes great. WIll even be better in a few months I'm sure. I've shelved half of this for long term aging. Been drinking some already since this was my first batch in a long time and I have no other beer in supply.

I have to say though that I think I used to much Yerba Mate in that the "zing" you get from the yerba (Cafeine/Mateine?) is a bit strong. One pint is fine, but over that and I find my pulse a running a little stronger than it needs to be after a few high test beers! Perhaps the higher alchohol level leaches out more stimulant from the yerba than you might normally get from the tea??

I'd reduce the yerba by 25%. And increase bittering hops to compensate, though you'd be fine either way.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 11-09-2005 at 08:35 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2005, 05:31 AM   #12
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

I'd like to make a note here. Even though this beer tastes great, I would reduce the yerba by 25% to 50% and boost the bittering hops to compensate. As I mentioned earlier I've noticed that the stimulating affects of the yerba seem higher than normal. I have a theory that the higher alchohol content may have added in leaching out the caffiene from the yerba. Though I haven't figured out how many drinks of tea one beer equates to yet.
I used 2.5 cups of loose yerba (Cruz De Malta) for 10 Gallons.

Usually with yerba mate tea you will notice the stimulation from the cafiene but the nutrient/mineral balance seems to negate the negative effects typical with cafiene. I wouldn't say I felt the same as drinking a number of coffee's, but the effect did seem different from drinking the tea.

One beer is ok, but when you have two of these you start to notice your heart beating faster. Any one with a heart condition should be aware of this fact. Same goes for drinking espresso I suppose.

I checked with the FDA and the ATF (what ever they call themselves now) and was told that Yerba Mate has been deemed safe as an ingredient in beer.

OK, that said, I think I might enter this into competition next year. Even at 3 weeks old this beer is fantastic.

If anyone else brews this could you let me know what you thought regarding the stimulant part of my long winded post? I'm curious if it's all in my head or not. haha The 10% a/v content may have been affecting my senses!

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 11-13-2005 at 05:38 AM.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I might brew a batch if I can work it into the rotation somewhere...I've got some yerba mate I bought out of curiosity, and there is absolutely no other way I will ever wind up consuming it other than through an alcoholic beverage!

Old 11-15-2005, 03:58 AM   #14
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hooray for Mate! I'm addicted to the stuff, have to have it most afternoons if I expect to be more than comatose. I was wondering about a mate beer sometime last winter, but never got around to brewing it. Your experience gives me courage. How long did your brew ferment? It seems like something with that kind of high proof would have to go at it awhile. Do you think a lighter bodied brew would let the green goodness shine through a bit more, or would it be to bittery?

Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 11-16-2005, 03:17 AM   #15
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

I aerated well and fermented about 22-23C (73F) and had a fast fermentation, about 5 days for this batch.

I used coopers ale yeast then added ec1118 at 24 and 72 hours.
Probably work just as well if you used an ale yeast and pitched a goooood amount of it.

I actually bottled this after 8 days but should have left it much longer in the secondary. I was impatient. It was my first batch in a few years...

[EDIT: Forgot to mention, yerba should have nutrient properties yeasties would like.]
As for a lighter brew...definately use LESS yerba. It's fairly tannic. Though perhaps a good deal of aging in secondary would reduce that, but 2.5 cups for 10 Gal was pretty bitter. I think that weighs about 250 grams.

I used half that in my very light fruit beer and I can barely notice the taste, but that aged 8 primary and 8 days in the secondary.

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 11-16-2005 at 03:39 AM.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
biggosh
Recipes 

do you think that 2.5 cups of yerba was enough? I thought about maybe trying close to 1.75-2 cups for 5 gallons. what do you think?

Old 04-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #17
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

WOW, i haven;t seen this thread in eons.

I should have updated this thread. 2.5 cups is way to much. The stimulant on yerba tends to cause increased blood presure with that much yerba. I think I would cut it in half for 10g so .5 or so for 5 gallons.

Also, this beer aged weird. It actually tasted pretty good fairly young (though that was me just getting back into brewing... hard to say what my toungue would think now).

At about 1/2 to 3/4 a year, it was very odd tasting. Like the tannins from the yerba had taken over. Another few months, around a year or more it tasted great. An example of some flavors mellowing, letting others come a little strong and eventually those flavors mellowing is my guess.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
Oaky
Recipes 

bring on the sensory stimulation! is it just a factor of the effect or the flavor?
I'm a caffeine (in all shapes and sizes) hound.. so i'm somewhat immune to most. I'm most curious about flavor in your 2.5cup/5g batch.

Love the idea either way. On that subject.. get some mugwort. or yarrow, sweet gale and other gruit like ingredients.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been tossing around the idea of a yerba mate beer. Im planning on adding either yerba mate, yerba mate tea bags, or yerba mate liquid to the secondary. Maybe a little at flameout for aroma.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #20
Blanda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Geez.. I don't know how the hell I got to this thread, but here I'am. I'm from Argentina, and It never occurs to me to brew with yerba mate.
Never the less, I'll try to give you an advice... The mate is not an infusion (like tea) but a hot drink. This means that you musn't boil the water, no't even let it boil and then let it cool down. Once the water is boiled, is useless.
So... Lets see what happens when you use boiled water to drink mate:
Water looses a lot of oxigen, and gases disolved dicreases drástically in th water. That makes the water very soluble for other solids (in this case the nutrients and some minerals in the yerba). This not only "washes out" the yerba from it's nutrients, but also from substances that gaves the yerba some off flavors like strong acidity, and strong presence off tannins. My advice would be to make mate with water at 84º Celsius. And add it to the fermenter. You should get a lot of flavor and aroma without tannins and acidity. And you won't have to worry about the amount of yerba you use.
I hope this helps although I've never brew with yerba.

Sorry for my english, if anyone has any doubt about what I wrote. I'll try to explain myself better.

Cheers.

Quick Reply