The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > "Yeasty" Flavors?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 03:59 AM   #1
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Yeasty" Flavors?

I've got three batches so far to the drinking stage:

1. Hefeweizen femented with Wyeast's Weihenstaphaner Hefeweizen yeast (gone)
2. Old Speckled Hen clone with Wyeast's Irish Ale yeast (in bottle for almost a month)
3. Hefeweizen with Wyeast's Bavarian Wheat yeast. (in bottle for about 1 week and a half now)

All three I used the liquid "activator" packs. Basically they have a built-in starter. The stuff took off within 12hrs for each, and all three fermented at about 69F....possibly about 70F for the Bavarian.

I've notcied my beers all have quite a yeasty character to them. The first hefe had a booming banana smell to it. The Old Speckled Hen is great when cold, but as it warms up the yeast flavor takes over and the dregs smell pretty pungent at room temp. The Bavarian seems to be the best balanced thus far, but is still a little on the yeasty side.

Any ideas on how to balance them out a little? Is it Wyeast itself, or temps....or what? Or am I just being anal?

Another last minute idea.....am I racking over too much yeast into the bottling bucket? I let my auto siphon sit on the bottom of the bucket, and carbonation has never been a problem.

Sam

__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
ryser2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Schuylkill Haven, PA
Posts: 467
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Hmm, I don't have an answer for this but I'm interested to see what others have to say. I just used Wyeast for the first time this weekend on my Steam beer, and I just got myself an auto-siphon too! Sounds like we're pretty much in the same boat.

__________________
On Deck: Kolsch
Bottled: Apfelwein!
ryser2k is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #3
Janx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Janx's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,688
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default

How long after brewing are you drinking the beer? Usually "yeasty" character mellows with time. My beers tend to start tasting really clean about a month after brewing.

Any beer made using a Weihenstephan yeast is gonna be yeasty...that's the nature of the beast. And I imagine dregs always smell pretty yeasty because they are in fact yeast.

I guess I would try to minimize the amount of yeast that gets in the bottles or move to kegging. That and be sure to give them enough time.

__________________
Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit
No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit
For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Last edited by Janx; 03-30-2005 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo
Janx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
I've notcied my beers all have quite a yeasty character to them. The first hefe had a booming banana smell to it. The Old Speckled Hen is great when cold, but as it warms up the yeast flavor takes over and the dregs smell pretty pungent at room temp. The Bavarian seems to be the best balanced thus far, but is still a little on the yeasty side.
Sam
Sam,
I'm drinking my Hefe that has been on the "serving line" since Saturday (force carb'd on tap in a corny). I used the White Labs Hefe V yeast. My wife told me it reminded her of that banana taffy candy. Which, is the description of that yeast strain. The higher the ferm temps, the more banana/clove taste you'll get. Sounds like your right where you need it? I compared mine to a King Ludwig (?) Bavaraian Wheat, and it was damn close.
Maybe try not to stir up to much sediment when you bottle?
__________________
DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

My opinion on the matter:
I think your ferment temps are fine. I haven't looked at the exact yeasts you used, but most of the ale yeasts have ranges up to 73 degrees. Personally I'd rule that out unless you think you got near that range.

I think the problem is you are drinking it too fast!
Found this excerpt in the "How to Brew" link that has been passed on many times:
"Yeasty
The cause of this flavor is pretty easy to understand. If the yeast is unhealthy and begins autolyzing it will release compounds that can only be described as yeasty. Also if the beer is green, too young, and the yeast has not had time to settle out, it will have a yeasty taste. Watch your pouring method too, keep the yeast layer on the bottom of the bottle."

I think you need to store it over at my house so you keep your grubby paws off of it!

Honestly, when I tried the OSH it had no yeasty flavor. The Hefe probably should have a tiny taste of it. Full scoresheet on the Bavarian coming soon.

__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,951
Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrelse
My opinion on the matter:
I think your ferment temps are fine. I haven't looked at the exact yeasts you used, but most of the ale yeasts have ranges up to 73 degrees. Personally I'd rule that out unless you think you got near that range.

I think the problem is you are drinking it too fast!
Found this excerpt in the "How to Brew" link that has been passed on many times:
"Yeasty
The cause of this flavor is pretty easy to understand. If the yeast is unhealthy and begins autolyzing it will release compounds that can only be described as yeasty. Also if the beer is green, too young, and the yeast has not had time to settle out, it will have a yeasty taste. Watch your pouring method too, keep the yeast layer on the bottom of the bottle."

I think you need to store it over at my house so you keep your grubby paws off of it!

Honestly, when I tried the OSH it had no yeasty flavor. The Hefe probably should have a tiny taste of it. Full scoresheet on the Bavarian coming soon.

I was going to recommend some of the same thoughts, especially the part about bringing over to my place for sampling, I mean storage.

Actually, you may want to consider pouriung the yeast from the the bottom of the bottle into the glass AFTER the beer is in the glass.

Do you have an actual .5 liter Hefe Weizen glass? I have over 100 of them that I collected while living in Germany. You need to learn how to properly pour.

As for the yeast, you should drink it. When you drink alcohol it depletes your body of vitamin B. The yeast is vitamin B.
__________________
HB Bill
homebrewer_99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Actually, you may want to consider pouriung the yeast from the the bottom of the bottle into the glass AFTER the beer is in the glass.

Do you have an actual .5 liter Hefe Weizen glass? I have over 100 of them that I collected while living in Germany. You need to learn how to properly pour.

As for the yeast, you should drink it. When you drink alcohol it depletes your body of vitamin B. The yeast is vitamin B.
ah, yes. rouse the yeast half-way through the pour, right? that's the one bad thing about kegging a wheat beer. i've read that some will store kegged wheat up-side down until it's finished it's natural carbonation time.......
__________________
DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Bill....for hefes I do an easy pour for about the first 2/3, then rouse the yeast and basically "dump" the remaining 1/3 and empty the yeast into the glass. Me like yeast, esp. in hefe's. I just don't want it overpowering everything else.

Really it's the OSH clone that's bothering me. I figured a month in the bottle would be plenty considering it's OG was about 43, and it has matured nicely. It seems to me that the flavor of the beer is excellent, but the yeast is overpowering it somewhat. I believe if I could balance that out a little, I'd have me a winner.

And too, I don't really know what the characteristcis of an Irish ale yeast are supposed to be, so there's another unknown. Maybe I can tweak it to something a bit more neutral for my next batch.

So that's what I"m going to look at. Also, I'll *try* to hang onto a couple bottles for another month and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Thanks again fellas. I really like hearing input on stuff like this, because I really want to refine my recipes and techniques so I'm coming out with beers I'm proud of. I enjoy learning this kind of stuff.

Sam

__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
SwAMi75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SwAMi75's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Midwest City, OK
Posts: 2,492
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
My wife told me it reminded her of that banana taffy candy. Which, is the description of that yeast strain. The higher the ferm temps, the more banana/clove taste you'll get.
Yeah, that's exactly it. With that first batch, I did drink it a little green, but that big bananna flavor never really mellowed with time. I think if I use that same Weihenstephaner yeast agian, I'll try to decrease my temps a little for sure. I love that character, but not too much of it.

Banana "taffy" is a perfect description, too. I'd never thought of it.
__________________
May you go marching in three-measure time
Dressed up as asses, drunk to the nines
Swing from the rafters, shouting those songs
Gone unsung for far too long

SwAMi75 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
Janx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Janx's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,688
Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default

One way to rule out the Irish yeast strain as the culprit would be to use a very neutral yeast. I would suggest making a batch of APA with White Labs California Ale (NOT California V). It's a very clean yeast and it makes fantastic beer.

__________________
Oh don't give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit
No, don't you give me none more of that Old Janx Spirit
For my head will fly, my tongue will lie, my eyes will fry and I may die
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit
Janx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Green" yeasty flavors/odors after 3 weeks in bottles? BrewBalls Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 11-05-2009 09:01 PM
I want to hear about your "yeasty experiments". Mike-H Recipes/Ingredients 5 04-18-2009 01:17 AM
Ok guys, I think I have a problem with "off flavors"... darkestdays Extract Brewing 25 02-05-2009 03:06 PM
"Natural Flavors"--- is that ok??? pa-in-utah Recipes/Ingredients 1 07-10-2007 04:51 PM
"Yeasty" taste Hanlan General Techniques 4 09-21-2006 06:34 PM