Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yeast on Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Default Yeast on Yeast

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Me...ForYeast.shtml

Read the bottom part where he recommends throwing in some yeast at the end of the boil to provide food for your working yeast. Anyone ever done this?
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
fritz_monroe
Recipes 

You can buy yeast energizers at your LHBS. These often contain some dead yeast, (yeast hulls). This is usually used in wine making, though. My understanding is wort contains enough nutrients to keep the yeast healthy and happy.

F_M

Check out my homestead blog

Old 06-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

He's talking about doing it as a means of adding additional zinc as a nutrient for the yeast. Earlier in the article he seems to indicate that a low level of zinc is mainly a problem for extract brewers.

I imagine its the same as using yeast hull nutrient. I've been thinking about adding some to my beers ever since I brewed my mini-mead. All my beers take two weeks to ferment. Maybe the zinc level is my problem since I am brewing with extracts. I'll try adding a little to my next batch to see if it helps out.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Quick Reply