yeast worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
The plan is to brew my first AG dry stout tomorrow. I went to my LHBS wednesday to get some yeast but the had none of the irish ale WYeast so I ordered some in an emergency from a nearby place and received it yesterday. It was the White labs Irish ale yeast, which i have never used white labs.

I decided to do a starter to make sure everything goes smoothly and used one pint water to 1/2 cup DME to give approx. 1.040 like in Palmer's book. Well I did this last night which was thursday and then i forgot to check it in the morning and I worked all day and just checked it now at about 11:30pm tonight. So it has been just over 24 hours since I made the starter and there was no activity, no krausen, no nothin.... It worries me that either i missed it, or it is totally bad....should I pitch it tomorrow or is there any way to know if it is good? The date on the yeast was well within an acceptable time.

Any advice appreciated....just not sure what to do. I want to believe that I missed all the action and it is fine, but am worried at the same time. Any way to know?

Thanks,
Joe

Latest posts

Back