Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yeast Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Yeast Question?

Has anyone ever used lager yeast at ale temperatures? I was wondering what the differences would be in flavor, lag time, etc. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I keg and force carbonate my brews.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2004, 05:22 AM   #2
The Professor

Recipes 

Anchor Steam (california common) is made by using a lager yeast at ale temps. It gives the beer a bit more fruitiness than if lagered but the result can be quite pleasing. I usually use San Francisco lager yeast when I make my Steam beers and they turn out quite nice. So.....I guess to answer your question:Yes, I do it all the time, and it turns out great. I even went so far as to make a Steam Stout (Beer purists are rolling over in their graves) and I'm not going to apologize for it!

Old 12-22-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks Professor for the follow-up. I guess I should have been a little more specific. I had read about the California Common in the recent BYO, and knew about Anchor Steam (from several sessions!) But, Anchor Steam is a hoppy beer to me, which hides some of the characteristics of the beer. I want to brew a Texas style bock, but use lager yeast. I know I could use a German Ale yeast, but wanted to see if anyone had done anything similar. I guess I need to just give it a shot and see what happens? Also, does the primary and secondary fermentation last about the same time as when using the ale yeast?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor
Anchor Steam (california common) is made by using a lager yeast at ale temps. It gives the beer a bit more fruitiness than if lagered but the result can be quite pleasing. I usually use San Francisco lager yeast when I make my Steam beers and they turn out quite nice. So.....I guess to answer your question:Yes, I do it all the time, and it turns out great. I even went so far as to make a Steam Stout (Beer purists are rolling over in their graves) and I'm not going to apologize for it!

Old 12-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #4
NUCC98

Recipes 

Default Liquid vs. Dry

My yeast question is what the real difference is between using liquid yeast vis a vis dry? I read it's really a matter of convenience over taste to use the dry...is this true? Thanks!!!

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 12-22-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
rdlamb2
Recipes 

Default liquid yeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCC98
My yeast question is what the real difference is between using liquid yeast vis a vis dry? I read it's really a matter of convenience over taste to use the dry...is this true? Thanks!!!
Liquid becomes more active sooner. The sooner the process begins the less likely bacteria can get a start. I only use liquid yeast.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #6
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlamb2
Liquid becomes more active sooner. The sooner the process begins the less likely bacteria can get a start. I only use liquid yeast.

Thanks for the reply! Do you still get the haze after fermentation when you use liquid?

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 12-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Using liquid yeast is one of the single best things I did to improve the quality of my beer. I really don't think that the dry yeasts produce as clean a ferment as the liquid.

Add to that the fact that you have an endless amount of diversity and fun styles to play with.

Liquid yeast. Raging big starters. Then you got good beer.

Janx

Old 12-31-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
strat40
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default California common

True enough, you can use some lager yeast at ale temps, but some will give solventy, sulpher flavors too.

Quick Reply