The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Yeast preference poll

View Poll Results: What form of yeast do you prefer?
Dry 158 22.54%
Liquid - Wyeast 245 34.95%
Liquid - White Labs 254 36.23%
Other/No preference 44 6.28%
Voters: 701. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Janx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default Yeast preference poll

What form of yeast do you like? Dry or liquid? Any types you have found to be really good? Let's talk about our favorite yeasts!

I think liquid yeast produces much better beer than does dry. I've been stuck on the White Labs for a while now and really like it. Here are some that I have tried and liked:

California Ale - the Sierra Nevada Yeast. Clean as a whistle and appropriate for just about any style.

California Ale V - more estery and fruity than regular California. Seems to finish a bit sweeter.

Dry English Ale - I absolutely love this one for British Bitter, Porter, Oatmeal Stoua and Pale ale. Finishes dry, but has enough yeasty character to be English.

English Ale - Finishes sweeter than above. I prefer the Dry version. Definite yeasty/estery English character.

German Bock - Takes FOREVER. A bock we made is still fermenting in secondary after 3 months! I'll let you know how it tastes someday

German Lager - Nice clean lager yeast. Makes good bock, pilsner, etc and is much faster than above

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 02:47 AM   #2
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really like White Labs yeast, too. So far, I have used:

WLP001 California Ale
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast (helped make my Irish Stout a hit!)
WLP005 British Ale (one of my favorites)
WLP011 European Ale
WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast (another favorite)
WLP500 Trappist Ale
WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager

Old 03-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
Hatzie
Recipes 

Since I have started using liquid yeast, I find my beers have improved. I started with White Labs and have used nothing else. I have used a variety of the yeasts and have liked them all.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
jhudson
Recipes 

Wow! Talk about a coincidence. I was just going to bring this exact subject up this morning. My wife bought me a Bavarian Dopplebock kit and it came with White Labs German Lager yeast. Now, this is about the fifth liquid yeast that I've tried and every single one of them have never taken off in my wort. I've always had to back it up with a dry yeast. The first one I tried was a from WYeast and it was one of the smack packs. The smack pack took off and I pour it in the beer and it never did anything. The next three were vials from White Labs. I did a starter on all three. They all started fine, I pour them in my worts, nothing. Yesterday, I took the vial of German Lager yeast, followed the directions to the tee, nothing. I've given every single one of them upwards of 24 hours to take off. When they didn't take off, I pour in the dry and within a few hours, I got a bubbling bundle of joy. Any thoughts?

Also, with this recent lager that I have waiting for this White Labs to take off, I have a package of Coopers brewing dry yeast sitting in the refridgerator. Will this work with a lager? The reason I ask is because this is the first lager I've ever brewed and I know that Coopers works wonders (I think anyways) as an ale yeast.

Last edited by jhudson; 03-11-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Hatzie
Recipes 

What Temps are you pitching the yeast at, and are you introducing air into the chilled wort be for pitching?

Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
jhudson
Recipes 

I've pitched them between 70 to 75 degrees and yes there is injected oxygen into the wort. Although, with the dry yeasts (before I tried the liquid yeast) I never had to aerate and they were fine.

Last edited by jhudson; 03-11-2005 at 03:57 PM.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Well, all yeasts need aeration in order to be healthy, but some are more particular about it.

You say that within hours of dumping in dry yeast, your brews took off. I'd bet you just didn't give the liquid enough time, because I don't think dry yeast can go from dormant to actively fermenting in just a couple of hours. I bet the liquid yeast got going.

Your experience is weird, though. When I make a starter, they usually get going within about 12 hours. Is someone selling you old yeast? Did you check the expiration dates?

To answer your question, if you put ale yeast into your lager, then it is now an ale. The yeast is what makes it one or the other.

Good luck! And sorry about your run of bad luck with yeast. Very odd.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FWIW, I've only done a starter once - with my bock/WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager combo. All others, I just dumped the vial in after aerating the wort. I think I will start doing starters more frequently and I don't think I'll ever do a lager without one!

Two things I can offer:

1. Make sure the yeast has warmed up a bit. I usually take it out of the fridge when I begin brewing and let it sit at room temperature.

2. I have fermented all of my ales anywhere b/w 68-72 degrees. I've noticied in most cases it takes at least a full 24 hours to have passed before any real noticable activity to take place. Usually, more like b/w 24-36 hours.

My 2 cents!

Old 03-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Hatzie
Recipes 

They only way I know of getting a quick start on fermentation is to reuse the yeast cake from a prior batch. I have done this a number of times and it works great.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
jhudson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
2. I have fermented all of my ales anywhere b/w 68-72 degrees. I've noticied in most cases it takes at least a full 24 hours to have passed before any real noticable activity to take place. Usually, more like b/w 24-36 hours.
Well, this might mean that I wasn't waiting long enough. I always get worried with them because the instructions said that fermentation would begin within 5 to 12 hours. So, when I woke up this morning and it had been 12 hours since I pitched the yeast, I got worried. I think I'm going to take off and get a dry lager yeast backup just in case. However, I will wait till tomorrow morning and that will be 36 hours. I'm just always worried about waiting that long. Has anyone else's wort taken that long to start bubbling with the liquid yeasts?

Quick Reply