Yeast Energizer? How is the best way to use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagington

Reaction score
Questions????
My Robust Porter has been in the primary fermenter for over 16 days now, which I understand is fine and all, however the final gravity is at 1.030 when in all reality it should be at 1.018 - 1.020. The Original Gravity was 1.065, and it would seem the yeast has begun to slow to a halt as far as fermentation goes.

Best practice, is it better to transfer the beer into the secondary fermenter and add a teaspoon of yeast energizer to the secondary and skim some yeast off the bottom of the primary to mix into the secondary? Or, should I add the yeast energizer to the primary and give the primary a very gentle shake to get the yeast moving again?

:confused:

What temperature ware you fermenting at? Give it a very gentle swirl - I just take the fermenter's handle and twist it for 15-30 seconds or so. Seems to do the biz for me.

When making BIG beers I often add the wyeast yeast nutrients 10/15 minutes before the end of the boil. These yeastie-snacks could also be added after the fact into the primary - just add to cooled cup of boiled water.

What temperature ware you fermenting at? Give it a very gentle swirl - I just take the fermenter's handle and twist it for 15-30 seconds or so. Seems to do the biz for me.

When making BIG beers I often add the wyeast yeast nutrients 10/15 minutes before the end of the boil. These yeastie-snacks could also be added after the fact into the primary - just add to cooled cup of boiled water.

The temperature I'm fermenting at is 66 F. Yea I didn't add the yeast nutrients to this beer, I typically do so when I make a stout. So if I add a bit of yeast nutrients and gently swirl the primary it should start up again? My only concern is the fact that I might create off flavors by allowing the beer to sit in the primary for so long. Or, will that not be a problem? Thanks!!

The temperature I'm fermenting at is 66 F. Yea I didn't add the yeast nutrients to this beer, I typically do so when I make a stout. So if I add a bit of yeast nutrients and gently swirl the primary it should start up again? My only concern is the fact that I might create off flavors by allowing the beer to sit in the primary for so long. Or, will that not be a problem? Thanks!!

Off-flavors by letting it sit on the yeast are not an issue, unless you leave it for well over a month. I would bring up the temperature to 68-70 degrees and swirl up the yeast, which should be enough to get it going again. I wouldn't bother with yeast nutrients unless it stalls out again before hitting your FG (and it that case, I'd probably pitch additional, healthy yeast along with the nutrients).

Off-flavors by letting it sit on the yeast are not an issue, unless you leave it for well over a month. I would bring up the temperature to 68-70 degrees and swirl up the yeast, which should be enough to get it going again. I wouldn't bother with yeast nutrients unless it stalls out again before hitting your FG (and it that case, I'd probably pitch additional, healthy yeast along with the nutrients).

I moved the fermenter into a warmer temperature, at about 70 degrees. Also, I dropped in a teaspoon of yeast energizer and lightly rotated the carboy for a half of a minute. Did all this last night at about 9pm. Nothing has happened in the past 19 hours, I know it takes sometime, but should I drop a new yeast culture?

If you have a yeast energizer and not a yeast nutrient, then I would just poor the amount needed into the work and a gentle swirl with a sanitary object.

The yeast energizer i have used calls for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. It really got things going again when I used it within 24 hours.

If you have a yeast energizer and not a yeast nutrient, then I would just poor the amount needed into the work and a gentle swirl with a sanitary object.

The yeast energizer i have used calls for 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. It really got things going again when I used it within 24 hours.

I took your advice and swirled the beer today with a sanitary ladle. Also, added in the yeast energizer before stirring. I haven't seen any activity, but it has only been about 12 hours. I'll wait for the 24 hour mark and if nothing happens I will drop a new yeast culture.

I am having this exact same issue. How did this turn out?

Oh man what a bust. The gravity is still at 1.030 even after I added a new yeast culture and the energizer. My suspicions lie in the idea that there may have been too much Alpha Amylase, so my mash temperature was a bit too high producing less fermentable sugars. Someone did suggest beano, but I skipped the idea and just moved along to the secondary adding my oak chips, vanilla beans and bourbon. I hope that over time the sweet malt flavors, which are not too unwelcomed, will fade away.

Back