*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > XX clone Partial Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
NickThoR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default XX clone Partial Mash

How do yall think this sounds for a Dos Equis Ambar clone? the weather here is turning and i'm ready for summer!

2 lb Amber Dry Extract
4. lb Vienna Malt
1 lb Munich Malt
.75 lb Crystal 120L
1.5 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
.50 oz Hallertauer @ 10
and Notty yeast as cool as i can keep in a tub, probably 59 60d

Beersmith says 14.5 srm and 4.77% alc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMO, it wont be dos equis (no lager yeast, no rice, doubtful there's any C120 in it), but it'll probably taste better than it. I'm sure there's a clone in the recipe database if you want a true clone

Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
NickThoR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dont have the stuff to lager, so i figured notty would be the next best since it is ok at lower temps... any suggestions for other yeasts? how else could i get the color without the c120... maybe up the munich and/or use dark extract?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

no in that case, using notty will probably be your best bet unless you wanted to try california lager (steam) or kolsch yeast. The notty should be good enough to get you close as long as you don't ferment hot. I'd use C60 or C40 instead of the C120, and if you want the same color use 1-2oz of something like chocolate wheat or carafa III

Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2735 Times on 1641 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Why don't you do some digging into the particular style that Dos Equis is, it's an amber or vienna lager. And being such they have a particular grainbill. Whether or lager it or use ale yeast, you still will get a closer taste of you use a similar grainbill.

In my vienna lager thread, there is a link to a great basic brewing podcast on Vienna lagers with the editor of BYO magazine. He goes into great detail about what does and does not go into that style of beer. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/revv...-lager-147772/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2735 Times on 1641 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

And this is an article especially about the mexican amber/vienna lagers
;

Vienna Lager in Exile

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply