Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wyeast Thames Valley Ale Yeast #1275

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Default Wyeast Thames Valley Ale Yeast #1275

I bought this strain a couple of months ago- but I can't remember why.

I remember someone telling me it was "minerally". I'm going to make an oatmeal stout next. In the past, I've used 1335 with excellent results on that recipe, and also with Denny's Favorite 50 (1450) for a rich luscious mouthfeel. I have some Denny's, but no 1335.

Would the #1275 be a bad fit for a rich full oatmeal stout?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 174

I used 1275 a few months back for an Ordinary Bitter when the lhbs was out of 1028 & 1968. I didn't really care for it in that recipe. I subsequently repitched it into a hoppy British Porter that was much better. I don't think my palate picks up on minerally (maybe b/c I grew up on hard well water), but even on the porter there was something amiss I couldn't really identify.

YMMV, but I'd probably opt for the 1335 on an Oatmeal Stout if you have both on hand.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 11-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1913 Times on 1891 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use it in my pecan porter and really like it. I get about 72% attenuation out of it.To me it is kind of "nutty" so it works very well my pecan porter.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

This is as close to my "house" strain as you can get - I use it almost exclusively in American and English-style beers.

For me, it provides a fantastic balance of hops and malt, while attenuating right around 74-75%. It gives subtle esters. I think this yeast works amazing in hoppy beers, so I would definitely save some and have a go at it for your next project! I find this yeast to respond exceptionally to mash profiles, i.e., more fermentable in the lower range, less fermentable at the higher range, so I would not hesitate to mash an Oatmeal Stout around 156.

I don't really get any "minerally" from it - I can't see how one could conclusively say that would be from the yeast unless it was side-by-side with the same wort that was merely fermented with a different yeast, but I don't know how that description was arrived at, so I can't really comment.

The only thing I'm not a fan of with 1275 is the flocculation - it does have a tendancy to stay in suspension, but then again, so does 001/1056/S-05 in my hands. After a week cold crashing, it's out, though.

Stores well but gets a tad more neutral once you hit the 4th to 5th generation.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I have a starter of this yeast on the stir plate right now... this will be my first time using Wyeast 1275.

I'm planning to brew a strong bitter with it this weekend.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've only made a couple of beers with 1275 and they were all from the same smack pack, so if something was wrong with that pack it could be the problem, but I found it produced a very muddy beer. I know you've said you don't like the "dirt" flavor you get from fuggles, so I imagine you wouldn't be crazy about the mud flavor I got from 1275. Maybe that was just a fluke though. I'll have to try it again sometime and give it a second chance.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I've only made a couple of beers with 1275 and they were all from the same smack pack, so if something was wrong with that pack it could be the problem, but I found it produced a very muddy beer.
I've only used 1882 once, but that one beer (and only that one beer I've made), had a very "muddy" flavor, too. That was the exact word I used at the time, come to think of it. I know 1882 is a different strain, but they supposedly come from the same brewery, for whatever that's worth. I had chalked it up to something in my process, but now I'm wondering if it's a yeast driven flavor. In any case, I can see the flavor meshing just fine with a porter or stout, but not with the the bitter I tried it in.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
bjohnson29
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hmmm...kinda bummed. Just kegged a wheat porter using this and was planning on using the yeast slurry for a barleywine. Guess I'll find out in about a week or so...

Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
sendkyleanemail
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I like the slightly "nutty" note 1275 gives. I think it's an excellent choice for stouts, porters and even brown ales and pale ales!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnson29 View Post
Just kegged a wheat porter using this and was planning on using the yeast slurry for a barleywine.
As long as you had planned the Swamp Monster Barley Wine, I think you're golden!

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply