Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wyeast 3864 Canadian/Belgian ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
mr x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Wyeast 3864 Canadian/Belgian ale

I picked up a pack of this to make Trois Pistoles from Beer Captured. Anybody have any other clone recipes that they have used this strain with?

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Has anybody used this yeast before? I brewed a Trois Pistoles on Nov 21 and I'm still getting a small bit of fermentation activity in the airlock - I thought it would have been done by now. I pitched a 3 liter starter and the temp is in the mid 70s.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Have not brewed this, but the guy seems good:
http://stoutguy.com/beer/recipes/Transumptum_Acerbus.html
I don't think its a clone of anything, but looks like a good brew.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That does look interesting. Thanks!!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This yeast is irritating. I brewed Three Pistoles on November 21, and it still seems to be fermenting. It's been in the carboy in a cool basement (55-60 f), and I am getting a slight trail of bubbles, enough to see one layer on the top of the beer around the edges.

I racked to my keg, and have some leftovers I am tasting. I put some in a small Bodum tea cup, and after I got around to have a taste, the entire surface of the cup is covered in bubbles!! WTF is up with that? I finished the third week of fermenting at 80+ degrees...

Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

My White Labs Edinburgh is doing the same thing in my Scottish 80/-. It's been 14 days, and it's still at 1020 instead of 1010. I've peeked every 2 days and the krausen still hasn't dropped, even if I disturb it with a sanitized spoon, it re-forms within 10 minutes. Room temps are 67-68, so internal temp shouldn't be more than about 71F. Needs to hurry up, the bugger, because I gotta bottle this for a competition, or at very least keg it and force carb. Rrrrr.

Given, 14 days and 6 weeks are a big difference. But I'm just sayin, I feel your pain.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 02-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #7
clearyt1
Recipes 

Default Bubble, Smell in Secondary with 3864

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x
This yeast is irritating. I brewed Three Pistoles on November 21, and it still seems to be fermenting. It's been in the carboy in a cool basement (55-60 f), and I am getting a slight trail of bubbles, enough to see one layer on the top of the beer around the edges.

I racked to my keg, and have some leftovers I am tasting. I put some in a small Bodum tea cup, and after I got around to have a taste, the entire surface of the cup is covered in bubbles!! WTF is up with that? I finished the third week of fermenting at 80+ degrees...
Just read this post because of the freakiness of VSS 3864 Belgain Canadian in my last batch (a Belgian IPA). I put this batch in the secondary after 14 days, and the bugger bubbled away just like this for me too.

When I noticed this (day 3 in the secondary), I opened the air lock and got the rankest whiff- imaginable--thought the brew was infected with the same mold that destroyed another batch this summer.

I was too lazy and sad to pitch the batch for another week (as it slowly bubbled away every day!). But when I finally got the courage to throw it out, I took a quick whiff (then a taste), and was surprised to see the batch was actually fine. Just some strange behavior by this yeast. I transferred the batch to a keg to condition till at least summer, but I now have some high hopes.

Anyway, I almost tossed a $$$$ and difficult beer to brew because this yeast acted so freaky. Moral of the story is always prepare for the unexpected, especially with a new, uncharted yeast.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I noticed on the Wyeast site that they list at least one of their Belgian strains (1388) as continuing to release CO2:

'May continue to produce CO2 for an extended period after packaging or collection, while in refrigerated storage.'

I wonder if this strain has those same properties? I'm letting mine condition for a while as well, so I hope it's good.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
clearyt1
Recipes 

Thanks X. One more quick question--Did you notice any foul smell with 3864, like I had mentioned. That's what really freaked me out, coupled with the continued bubbling.

I've brewed a few Octoberfests that left the lager fridge with some serious stank, but this latest batch with 3864 could clear out a room with the smell. I honestly thought nothing that smelled that bad could not have spoiled, especially since this wasn't a lager strain.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #10
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I didn't really notice any odd/bad smell, but I don't have the best nose either.

Quick Reply