Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wyeast 3191 VSS Berliner Weisse Blend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Wyeast 3191 VSS Berliner Weisse Blend

http://www.wyeastlab.com/vssprogram.cfm?website=2

Thought I'd let everybody know now

Get it while its hot, I ordered mine ( some place online called high-gravity homebrew supply? - they'll probably just take my money and not ship anything ) They also had some 3711 left - if anybody want to make a Saison this yeast is supposedly AWESOME

And to answer your question; yes, once you start using Brett you will ONLY be able to brew funky beers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, LHBS had some today and couldn't resist buying it - so now I'll have two packs. I'm going to email Wyeast and ask about the 'best' options/techniques for using this mix. If/when they respond I'll be sure to post relevant info.

BTW, nobody cares about this one?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, I care. I think I talked to you in the chat about it...

I am probably going to give this mix a try but I am waiting to hear what you say before I buy

Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I care - but I'm doing a batch the old-school way (blending a neutral ale yeast with a lacto culture). I probably would have chickened out of using Brett anyway...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Yeah, I care. I think I talked to you in the chat about it...
I am probably going to give this mix a try but I am waiting to hear what you say before I buy
I say buy, buy, buy! No, sell, sell, sell! Seriously though, they recommend 3-6 months for full flavor development( the brett I guess), so by the time I could give a recommendation it may not be available any more. Of course you could do it with two strains( Lacto and Ale strain), but if this blend turns out to be the best ever you may be SOL. I just emailed Wyeast with my questions, maybe they'll shed some light on how long it really needs. I don't want you to miss out waiting for reviews. You could always buy it, and just hold onto it for a while.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I say buy, buy, buy! No, sell, sell, sell! Seriously though, they recommend 3-6 months for full flavor development( the brett I guess), so by the time I could give a recommendation it may not be available any more. Of course you could do it with two strains( Lacto and Ale strain), but if this blend turns out to be the best ever you may be SOL. I just emailed Wyeast with my questions, maybe they'll shed some light on how long it really needs. I don't want you to miss out waiting for reviews. You could always buy it, and just hold onto it for a while.
I have been debating getting this or just using a regular yeast and a lacto culture. But, yeah, it is unfortunate that they say to age it for longer than they will be selling it.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What about using the lacto that is on the malt? I have been thinking of trowing some uncrushed malt into a starter to sour it up, boil it to kill the lacto and then add it to the beer in the primary. These were idea's for brewing a Gose since I don't wan't to invite live lacto into my bottling bucket. It should also allow me to control the sourness.

Kai

Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #8
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
What about using the lacto that is on the malt? I have been thinking of trowing some uncrushed malt into a starter to sour it up, boil it to kill the lacto and then add it to the beer in the primary. These were idea's for brewing a Gose since I don't wan't to invite live lacto into my bottling bucket. It should also allow me to control the sourness.
Kai
I bottled my Gose(need to update that thread, thanks for the reminder) and just found a bottle, so I'll be able to taste the real thing for the first time and compare it to my first attempt. I used a sour mash for it and a Berliner and they turned out very well, but this blend contains a Brett strain isolated from a now defunct brewery in Berlin. So that adds an interesting authenticity to the blend and should make an interesting/different beer. The other methods to make these beers are fine, but this is a unique blend that I look forward to trying.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:00 AM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Gueuze. Pronounced "Goo-za". Anyway, so, landhoney, did you actually blend batches?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Gose (a German beer with salt and corriander) ain't the same as Gueuze.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply