Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wyeast 1768

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
jmp138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Wyeast 1768

Im using Wyeast 1768 English Special Bitter for the first time and was a little bit freaked out buy the huge amount of flocculation and the mass of cottage cheese-ish sediment in the bottom. It took off like crazy after about 15 hours and now that I am 48 hours in it has settled down a little. Is there anything I need to do with this amount of flocculation and such an active yeast. Possibly aeration?

Secondly, I definitly did a low fill on my carboy after brewing and probably am looking at around four and a half gallons. I don't think its a good idea to add water now. Can I just bottle it and let it condition a little longer and just have a higher gravity. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Do not aerate anything after fermentation starts. Leave the beer alone. If you are still concerned you can rack to a secondary when the primary ferment finishes.

You would be better off to leave it at its current strength and let it condition.

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I think you mean 1968. I use it a lot, and it usually behaves very well. On rare occasions, it flocculates out, and results in a stuck fermentation. If this happens, a gentle rousing gets it going again.
As for adding water, I wouldn't.

-a.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I think you mean 1968.
He may very well have meant 1768 (unless the 1768 hadn't yet been released at the time of the post, in which case both I and the OP stand corrected).

I'm brewing up a special bitter today with this seasonal strain. Went looking for some reviews/thoughts on the yeast, but this was the only thread I found, so I figured I'd try to propogate the 1768 discussion here as my starter on the counter beside me does the same.

So far it's looking exactly like the 1968; cottage cheese vortex. It kind of makes me feel bad for my stir bar. I feel like the poor guy is having to work way harder than usual.

It's a pretty simple malt bill I put together. Maris Otter supplemented with a a little Ashburne Mild, and then some Simpsons C-55. Looking foward to seeing how this PC strain does. Anybody have any thoughts? I'd like to hear about how this strain does differ from 1968 in particular.

Quick Reply