The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > wYeast 1214 and Chimay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
mdf191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default wYeast 1214 and Chimay

I have searched all over the forums, and I have found that you can indeed steal Chimay yeast from a bottle and it is the primary yeast strain. But I havent found if anyone really thinks its worth it? Is Wyest 1214 virtually identical, to Chimay? Does anyone have any insight into this question? Because if Wyeast has already beat me to the source, im thinking why risk it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am currently brewing a batch of belgian ale with some chimay yeast obtained from a bottle of chimay red.

I haven't made any beers with the wyeast version but i have to say im blown away by early samples of this brew so much cloves, esters and complexity.

I looked around the net before embarking on this and saw one or two references to the bottle chimay yeast producing much more chimay like character than the wyeast version (not surprising really i suppose).

When you get the yeast from the bottle you are getting the yeast the monks are actually using today and not some harvested version that wyeast collected several years ago which in all probability has mutated to be slightly different.

Go ahead i say, its cheap, easy and fun, just be sure and scale it up slowly until you get a good 2litre culture and be very carful about sanitation (taste before you pitch).

Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy
I am currently brewing a batch of belgian ale with some chimay yeast obtained from a bottle of chimay red.

I haven't made any beers with the wyeast version but i have to say im blown away by early samples of this brew so much cloves, esters and complexity.

I looked around the net before embarking on this and saw one or two references to the bottle chimay yeast producing much more chimay like character than the wyeast version (not surprising really i suppose).

When you get the yeast from the bottle you are getting the yeast the monks are actually using today and not some harvested version that wyeast collected several years ago which in all probability has mutated to be slightly different.

Go ahead i say, its cheap, easy and fun, just be sure and scale it up slowly until you get a good 2litre culture and be very carful about sanitation (taste before you pitch).

I doubt it's mutated, I think the fact that they can sell so much yeast professionally is because they take care of their yeast, very, very well. Other than getting some beer with your yeast, it's not cheaper. A bottle of chimay/4 pack of chimay is more expensive than a smack pack. AT least here.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd be surprised if it hasn't mutated, thats what microbes do, nothing to do with how well wyeast look after the yeast, its just one of those things.

I work in a lab and even our mammalian cell lines (mammalian cells ain't exactly known for their high mutation rates) we use in tissue culture change reasonably quickly, 10-20 passages is enough to bring about completely different growth patterns etc so much so that we constantly dump them and go back to an earlier passage number.

With microbes the whole process is a lot quicker i can turn on the expression of a gene in my bugs and left to their own devices the bugs can quickly mutate sometimes overnight to switch it back off again. Kind of cool seeing evolution occuring overnight in a flask .

Old 10-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I suspect chimay's strain is mutating as well then?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
I suspect chimay's strain is mutating as well then?
Yes the chimay strain will be changing over time as well, that said it has already evolved to the niche the chimay monks have provided it with ie wort composition, fermentation temperature, water chemistry, depth of fermenting vessel etc etc.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
jdoiv

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy
Yes the chimay strain will be changing over time as well, that said it has already evolved to the niche the chimay monks have provided it with ie wort composition, fermentation temperature, water chemistry, depth of fermenting vessel etc etc.
That's a pretty good point. I listened to an interview with one of the yeast lab guys on one of JamilZ's podcasts and he said that the same strain of yeast will react differently based upon the water, wort and fermenting vessel from brewery to brewery. They adapt to their surroundings I guess. So you may not be able to perfectly duplicate what the brewery gets by using the same yeast, yours may act a little bit different due to it's surroundings.
Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
mdf191
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies! I think im going to give the chimay culturing a shot! does anyone have any good detailed links on the process? I understand the main points... should I be using yeast from alot of bottles or just one for a 5 gal batch?

Old 10-29-2007, 04:37 AM   #9
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default One for 1214!

I use Wyeast #1214 on a regualr basis in my Belgian Abbey Ale. My recipe tastes exactly like Chimay, in my opinion.

I have it posted in my recipes. Give it a click!

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 05-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just pitched Wyeast #1214 last night... how long does this take to get going? This is my second batch of homebrew, so I am pretty new. I used Safale S-04 in my first batch (Brown Ale) and it took off right away. It has been almost 24 hours now since I pitched the Wyeast 1214 Belgian Ale yeast, and still no bubbling in the airlock????????

Quick Reply