Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wyeast 1028

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
IndyPABrewGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wyeast 1028

Just got done preparing starters for the weekend. Brewing a Porter and an extra light Pale Ale. I used 1056 for the Pale and 1028 for the Porter. I smacked both packs at the same time. The 1056 was ballooning within an hour, and right where I need it within 3. The 1028 barely showed any growth. I figured it just took longer, but I had the stuff ready, so I pitched it. When I opened the smack pack, it smelled bad. That's all I can say to describe it. Like, just crappy. I just wondered if that was the yeast character or if it's because I just pitched dead yeast. I have no issue if I have to toss it, I'll just use the 1056 for everything, but if it's OK, I'm going to use it.

Anyone have any info about this? I couldn't find anything either way on the Wyeast website. Thanks all.

Cheers,

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Ultimate Table Beer
Bottled: The Mothman Barley Wine, Hwart's Bitter
Drinking: Water
On Deck: ???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

well, it could be just the character of the yeast (i've never used it), but normally i wouldn't pitch a pack that hasn't swelled.

as always, in the future you should make a starter and keep dry yeast on hand just in case

all you can do now is wait and see. worse case scenario, you just introduced some bad yeast or bacteria to your brew due to a contaminated pack of yeast (don't worry, it's VERY unlikely).

another thing that might happen is the yeast doesn't work and you'll have to pitch some more yeast.

i'd wait a day or two before you do anything, she'll probably just start bubbling away!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
IndyPABrewGuy
Recipes 

So, I guess the real question is, A) whether or not that is a character of the yeast? and B) If I don't see any progress in the starter, should I pitch the 1056 starter that I made for my second batch tomorrow (split in half and go to town)?

Thanks for the input, DeathBrewer. I think I might call you the BeerReaper from now on. I dig the Avatar.

Cheers,

Old 07-28-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wyeast 1056 and 1028 are the two liquid yeasts I use the most. Both are excellent.

I am sure I could never tell the difference in smell between two opened pouches of each. If the 1028 smelled bad, it probably was. Did it have a sulfury, rubbery smell? If so, it wasn't stored properly. Sorry.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
IndyPABrewGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Wyeast 1056 and 1028 are the two liquid yeasts I use the most. Both are excellent.

I am sure I could never tell the difference in smell between two opened pouches of each. If the 1028 smelled bad, it probably was. Did it have a sulfury, rubbery smell? If so, it wasn't stored properly. Sorry.
I had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't good. It smelled offensive, smokey and a bit acrid. No real "sulfur" smell, but I guess that could qualify.

At any rate, this morning the 1056 was showing signs of fermentation while there was nothing in the 1028, so I dumped it.

Now the question is, whether or not 1056 is a good yeast to use in a porter?

Cheers,

Quick Reply