Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wyeast 1010 and beer loss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Tonedef131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Wyeast 1010 and beer loss

I often have beers get a little worked up and need a bit of a blowoff tube, especially wheats. However, I used Wyeast 1010 straight out of the smack pack on an American wheat and it blew the lid off of the fermenter with a blowoff tube hooked up. It probably blew off for 12-24 hours and there was a great deal of beer lost because of such a long blow off period. I had never seen anything like this but since the beer turned out so good I didn't really think anything of it.

I saved this yeast for about 2 months and made a starter of it a couple of days ago, then brewed a raspberry wheat yesterday. When I woke up this morning it had blown right out of the top of my 1 gallon catch vessel. I had to empty this three more times before I went to work and then I stuck it in a 5 gallon bottle to keep it from running all over the floor. At lunch that was half full and it is still coming fast, I have probably lost a gallon of beer at this point.

Too late to do anything for this batch, but has anyone else experienced anything like this using 1010? I know it is the yeast, because both times I have used it I have made ten gallon batches and the other 5 gal got either WLP380 or WLP300 and they stayed under control. I really like the way this yeast performs other than this one aspect of it, would the White Labs American Wheat (320?) give me the same flavor without all the beer loss?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I recently used 1010 for a couple brews and I added a few drops of Foam Control. The kreusen only got to be a few inches thick.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Tonedef131
Recipes 

I thought someone might say that. Have you drank any of the beer yet? I have a hard time believing that doesn't effect the head retention somewhat, but I really hope I am wrong.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I use it in a lot of my beers and it has never affected head retention.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
I thought someone might say that. Have you drank any of the beer yet? I have a hard time believing that doesn't effect the head retention somewhat, but I really hope I am wrong.
It doesn't, at all. I've used it on my last seven batches, four of which I've sampled and don't have any head retention issues. Many others have experienced the same.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Tonedef131
Recipes 

So do you add it to the boil and the fermenter or is it enough just to add it to the boil and it transfers to the fermenter?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
mysteryberto

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I see that you have stairs in your house...

But yeah Wyeast 1010 is a really strong fermenter. I had my first blowoff with about 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Next time I'll use foam control or a blowoff tube.

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Old 07-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryberto View Post
I see that you have stairs in your house...
Oh I'm safe alright, good to have friends around these parts.

I am going to look around for a yeast that will not be quite so violent, but if I do come back to this one I will certainly be using foam control. It's fast at least, I just talked to my wife and she said it stopped spitting foam out, so it only blew off for about 12 hours.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

use a 7.5gallon bucket, that way you have more headspace. I have 1010 in the primary right now, and no problem blowing off with the 2.5gallon headspace.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I'll add a heads up on White Labs Burton Ale yeast... it is delicious smelling, and I've read rave reviews of its characteristics it imparts into any English ale... but DAYAMN is it vigorous! It climbed through the airlock and sprayed my cabinet, using a 7.5 gal Ale Pail with 5.0 gal of wort in it. (I finally collected the right amount that day.)

I was shocked, I'd never thought that a non-hefe non-wheat ale yeast would go THAT gonzo.

It's now my favorite.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply