The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wrong yeast, what to expect.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Arby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wrong yeast, what to expect.

So I recently did an extract hefe recipe. Now, I had two different vials of some WhiteLabs yeast in my fridge. One was the Hefe yeast, the other was a trappist.

Now, I had these in two different sections of the fridge for easy identification, but even after reading the label as I grabbed it, I grabbed the wrong yeast at the start of brewing....

I don't know why I didn't double check the label prior to pitching, but I apparently didn't.

I know there's really know point worrying about it now, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of what I could expect?

I still plan on bottling it and giving it a go. Never hurts to try, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
BlackGoat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 53

With the trappist yeast on a heffe recipe you probably will end up with something roughly along the lines of a wit or a belgian blonde. That could turn out just fine although likely not to any established styles. Also, just an FYI that if you're making 5 gallon batches you need to use a starter if using vials of white labs yeast, just pitching the vial alone is not enough yeast.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply