Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Would You Drink This IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would drink your beer and like it, but it'd be a little too sweet for my tastes. I don't mind specialty grains; my IPAs always have some toasted malt in them and I've liked the results of adding a little wheat. I might move the 15 minute adds to 5 to rein in the IBUs a little, or just add all the late hops as a hopstand. What mash temp and yeast strain are you planning on using?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if I would drink your IPA, as Snohomish is over 2300 miles from my house.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Hell yes I would! But I have never dry hopped with Columbus.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #13
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Well, first, that beer isn't going to be sweet at all. I would actually lower the IBUs to 65-70. Second, minus the Munich, that's pretty much the standard IPA grain bill, a bit higher gravity but definitely closer to an IPA than a double IPA. Many, many IPAs have a pound of crystal 10 or 20. Third, crystal doesn't create sweetness. You could double the crystal in that recipe and it wouldn't be sweet. It's mainly the IBUs or lack of that create a sweeter beer.

You can use lots of crystal, I don't know why or where homebrewers became obsessed with avoiding crystal (prob something Jamil or John Palmer said that is now scripture). Biermuncher's Octoberfast uses a pound and a half. I do a pumpkin ale with a pound and a half. Nothing wrong with a generous amount of crystal.

The main thing you need to do is add more hops. 3-4 ounces for flavoring and 3-4 ounces dry hop are a good amount for an IPA.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

On tap at the brewery:
Logan's Song English pale
Hopsail Belgian single
Hellfire Black IPA
Summer Night raspberry dark saison

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 07-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #14
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Yeast selection and mash temp have as much to do with attenuation as the grain bill.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #15
CryoEng
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
Yeast selection and mash temp have as much to do with attenuation as the grain bill.
Yes.

Perceived sweetness, body, etc are very dependent on mash temp and yeast.

Grain bill and hops are only half of the equation.

Cheers!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
MrTheKing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Nix the carapils and you've pretty much got my house IPA recipe. Jumble the hops around too, I usually do 1oz at 15, 10, 5, 0. 1oz of some high Alpha hop at FWH/60 (I've currently got a lot of Magnum 13% that i'm using). Not always the same hop, maybe .5 of one and .5 of another. My last three batches have been that recipe with different hops just playing around.

If i'm looking for a little more malt character i'll do .25 Crystal 20 and .75 Crystal 60.

Mash low, 150-152, oxygenate well and pitch plenty of yeast and you'll finish 1.010-1.012. Not super dry, i'm in the group of people that like some malt backbone to their IPAs.

It's $$$$, everyone loves 'em over here. Can't brew enough of the stuff.

Quick Reply