Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Would corn starch added in mash tun work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Would corn starch added in mash tun work?

Got to thinking again... Not always a good thing. Instead of using corn as an adjunct why not use corn sugar... then my thoughts turned to corn suryp then what about corn starch... Corn starch is crazy cheap. 1/2-1/4 the price of corn sugar. I'm doing all grain anyways would there be a problem of bumping abv .5%-1% with corn starch dumped into the mash tun after dough in? Would the enzymes break corn starch down and turn it into corn sugar? Not sure If I'll try it or not just had that wheel spinning in my head for a few days now and it wouldn't make sense if it diddn't work. Then the "GO BIG OR GO HOME" part of my brain wonders what grain to starch ratio could the enzymes of 2 row handle in an hour. I'm not sure if the beer made with this mentality would even be drinkable but curiosity is getting the best of me. Anybody out there know if it'd work and if so to what extent it could be taken? Just thinking outside the box... so far outside i think i'm in a sphere.... LOL!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Corn sugar is made from corn starch, so 10% in the mash should work fine. I wouldn't go too much higher, as corn starch is used mostly for thickening, AKA stuck sparge. Since it is straight starch, you shouldn't get the corn flavors that corn meal or flaked corn would add.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, corn starch would work, but here are a few things to keep in mind:

- adding corn starch to the mash isn’t the same as adding corn sugar. The mash enzymes will break the starch down into dextrines, maltotriose, maltose and glucose, but adding corn sugar will be all glucose.

- corn starch may have a higher gelatinization temp than barley starch and your mash temp may not be high enough to gelatinize it. But that is necessary for conversion. To be safe, boil the starch first and add the sticky mess to the mash.

I’m not sure if it is worth all the effort, but it can be made to work. If you just want to bump up the gravity, add sugar to the boil.

Kai

Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Papazian says this....

"Fermentables derived from cornstarch will theoretically provide a neutral flavor to the beer. Their use will lighten the body and flavor of the finished beer. Some brewmasters claim that the use of corn (10-20%) will help stabilize the flavor of beer. Regular cornstarch is the easiest form of corn to use (but usually the most expensive). It is easily converted in the mash without precooking."

Old 07-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Should work fine, but flaked maize is probably cheaper and easier to work with since you can just toss it into the mash as up to 20% of the grainbill. At my LHBS it's $1.50 a pound.

- Eric

Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

WOW!! Thanks for all the feedback! Don't think I'll be playing with it anytime soon but it was one of them "well, why wouldn't it work" ideas. If I ever make it to a rainbow foods or any post dated canned foods warehouse I'll check for it just for giggles. If I was going to use corn I'd stick with flaked corn that I get at my LHBS... Although it is coming into season.... Maybe I'll goof with boiling the crap out of some corn that I cut off the cob after smashing each kernel. Don't think I want fresh corn off the cob going through my Barley Crusher...

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Quick Reply