Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Working on a new English Bitter recipe would like your thoughts.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

I would replace the crystal 50-60L and Acidulated malt with Crystal MO. You can still add the biscuit/victory malt if you REALLY want to, but I think it's overkill.

Something else you might want to consider... Hop bursting. You end up using more hops (by weight) to get the same IBU, but it's all from 20 minutes from the end forward.

Also, I just entered the recipe as you have it last into BeerSmith... You're at under your original recipe IBU's (at 26.8, not 33.4)... I would increase the EKG amounts to .5oz at 10 minutes and 1oz at 5 minutes. That will land you just under 32 IBU. The estimated color is lower than your original recipe (6.4 SRM). Changing the malts to remove the acid and 60L, keeping the victory at 1/4# and adding 12oz of Crystal MO gets you to 8.1 SRM. Your OG could be lifted to 1.043, but I don't see that as an issue.

What temperature are you planning to mash this at?? That will also seriously impact the FG.

BTW, I have an English IPA recipe that I hop burst. I use all EKG (7.2% AA) in 5 minute intervals starting at 20 minutes from the end. I end up using 7.5oz, and get just under 48 IBU. You get incredible hop flavor and aroma this way, IME. But, you really need good software to help you figure out the hop additions if you're going to target a tight range. I'm brewing that recipe again for my next batch. I have family members that really like it. I've been keeping them at bay with my MO SMaSH supply.

__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: , Wa
Posts: 866
Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Default

You could delete the biscit malt and do a light roast of some of your MO

__________________
chuckstout is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
Pugs13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Big Lake, MN
Posts: 341
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
I would replace the crystal 50-60L and Acidulated malt with Crystal MO. You can still add the biscuit/victory malt if you REALLY want to, but I think it's overkill.

Something else you might want to consider... Hop bursting. You end up using more hops (by weight) to get the same IBU, but it's all from 20 minutes from the end forward.

Also, I just entered the recipe as you have it last into BeerSmith... You're at under your original recipe IBU's (at 26.8, not 33.4)... I would increase the EKG amounts to .5oz at 10 minutes and 1oz at 5 minutes. That will land you just under 32 IBU. The estimated color is lower than your original recipe (6.4 SRM). Changing the malts to remove the acid and 60L, keeping the victory at 1/4# and adding 12oz of Crystal MO gets you to 8.1 SRM. Your OG could be lifted to 1.043, but I don't see that as an issue.

What temperature are you planning to mash this at?? That will also seriously impact the FG.
I cannot get my hands on the crystal MO. So I may just use the crystal 50-60L which states it is used for ESB. I also use the acidulated malt for my pH since I use RO water. I will probably treat thay up with some calcium or salts as well. I am planning on mashing at 154F as usual unless there is the 152F range would be better...I will take the hop bursting into co.consideration but no guarantees just yet. Another thing is its hard to say from beer software to software because I have noticed they all seem to give different readings. With this I am actually at about 8 SRM. So...not sure...
__________________
[B]Hayes' Public House..."Ales Inspired by Heritage"[B]
Pugs13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Between here and there, and everywhere
Posts: 12,058
Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default

I linked to where you can get your hands on Crystal MO easily. If you don't want to, that's fine, just don't say you can't get your hands on it.

I've been using BeerSmith for a while now (since before 2.0 was released) and find ti's pretty damned close in what it gives you for information. It might give color readings on the light side, but that could also be due to longer/harder boils on my part.

Just be aware that mashing at 154F you're into medium body, if not a bit more than medium. What you mash at really comes down to what you want for the body of the brew.

__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Golddiggie is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,119
Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default

EDIT: never mind.

__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.
Piratwolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Pugs13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Big Lake, MN
Posts: 341
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
I linked to where you can get your hands on Crystal MO easily. If you don't want to, that's fine, just don't say you can't get your hands on it.

I've been using BeerSmith for a while now (since before 2.0 was released) and find ti's pretty damned close in what it gives you for information. It might give color readings on the light side, but that could also be due to longer/harder boils on my part.

Just be aware that mashing at 154F you're into medium body, if not a bit more than medium. What you mash at really comes down to what you want for the body of the brew.
No I ment I cannot get ot at my brewing store and I just don't want to order it. I would rather substitute. Could I use like a roasted barley to get the color darker? Like 2oz. of a 550L? Also, what do you suggest for mash temp.?
__________________
[B]Hayes' Public House..."Ales Inspired by Heritage"[B]
Pugs13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Pugs13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Big Lake, MN
Posts: 341
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

How about something like this...
7# MO
6oz. British Crystal 50-60L
2oz. Acidulated Malt
2oz. Roasted Barley - 550L

The roasted barley brings the color up nicely.

USE TIME OZ
60 mins 1.0 Fuggles
20 mins 0.25 East Kent Goldings
15 mins 0.50 East Kent Goldings
10 mins 0.5 Fuggles
5 mins 0.5 Fuggles

__________________
[B]Hayes' Public House..."Ales Inspired by Heritage"[B]
Pugs13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 778
Liked 61 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Is darker color desirable in a Better Bitter/ESB?

Here is a pic of an ESB (95% MO, 2% Extra Dark Crystal 160L, 3% Caramalt 20L). I thought the 160L crystal masked the maltiness of the MO and will rebrew with crystal 60L-80L instead and perhaps scaled down from the OG of 1.056 to 1.050. I wonder if the roast barley might take over too much.

bcs-esb.jpg

__________________
DSmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Pugs13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Big Lake, MN
Posts: 341
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith
Is darker color desirable in a Better Bitter/ESB?

Here is a pic of an ESB (95% MO, 2% Extra Dark Crystal 160L, 3% Caramalt 20L). I thought the 160L crystal masked the maltiness of the MO and will rebrew with crystal 60L-80L instead and perhaps scaled down from the OG of 1.056 to 1.050. I wonder if the roast barley might take over too much.
I have a SRM of 13 as of now...I was thinking of just using more 50-60L but yea I juat don't want to mask the otter too much...
__________________
[B]Hayes' Public House..."Ales Inspired by Heritage"[B]
Pugs13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
beerkrump
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Triune, TN
Posts: 2,124
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

You only need to use acidulated malt to adjust the pH if you're dealing with extremely alkaline water. RO water is the opposite, it has no alkalinity. The malts will drop the pH enough. Look into the Brew Science forum for info on water chemistry.

Here's my super simple bitter recipe:
Grain
6# (80%) Maris Otter (or Pale Ale Malt or Golden Promise)
12 oz (10%) Crystal 40L
12 oz (10%) Turbinado Sugar

Mash @ 152°

Hops
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
1 oz Fuggle @ 15
1 oz Fuggle @ 0

__________________
beerkrump is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English bitter recipe mrwongburger Recipes/Ingredients 4 04-30-2012 12:56 AM
English Best Bitter Recipe Development onelegout Recipes/Ingredients 48 04-27-2012 10:41 PM
Lemon English Bitter recipe? PolishStout Recipes/Ingredients 2 04-11-2011 03:47 PM
Working on a English Pale/Strong Bitter Ale... BeerFan21 Recipes/Ingredients 3 04-07-2010 05:41 PM
English Bitter Recipe Help!! JEMeeks Recipes/Ingredients 28 03-26-2010 07:30 PM