Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Working on a new English Bitter recipe would like your thoughts.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I would replace the crystal 50-60L and Acidulated malt with Crystal MO. You can still add the biscuit/victory malt if you REALLY want to, but I think it's overkill.

Something else you might want to consider... Hop bursting. You end up using more hops (by weight) to get the same IBU, but it's all from 20 minutes from the end forward.

Also, I just entered the recipe as you have it last into BeerSmith... You're at under your original recipe IBU's (at 26.8, not 33.4)... I would increase the EKG amounts to .5oz at 10 minutes and 1oz at 5 minutes. That will land you just under 32 IBU. The estimated color is lower than your original recipe (6.4 SRM). Changing the malts to remove the acid and 60L, keeping the victory at 1/4# and adding 12oz of Crystal MO gets you to 8.1 SRM. Your OG could be lifted to 1.043, but I don't see that as an issue.

What temperature are you planning to mash this at?? That will also seriously impact the FG.

BTW, I have an English IPA recipe that I hop burst. I use all EKG (7.2% AA) in 5 minute intervals starting at 20 minutes from the end. I end up using 7.5oz, and get just under 48 IBU. You get incredible hop flavor and aroma this way, IME. But, you really need good software to help you figure out the hop additions if you're going to target a tight range. I'm brewing that recipe again for my next batch. I have family members that really like it. I've been keeping them at bay with my MO SMaSH supply.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #12
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

You could delete the biscit malt and do a light roast of some of your MO

Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
Pugs13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
I would replace the crystal 50-60L and Acidulated malt with Crystal MO. You can still add the biscuit/victory malt if you REALLY want to, but I think it's overkill.

Something else you might want to consider... Hop bursting. You end up using more hops (by weight) to get the same IBU, but it's all from 20 minutes from the end forward.

Also, I just entered the recipe as you have it last into BeerSmith... You're at under your original recipe IBU's (at 26.8, not 33.4)... I would increase the EKG amounts to .5oz at 10 minutes and 1oz at 5 minutes. That will land you just under 32 IBU. The estimated color is lower than your original recipe (6.4 SRM). Changing the malts to remove the acid and 60L, keeping the victory at 1/4# and adding 12oz of Crystal MO gets you to 8.1 SRM. Your OG could be lifted to 1.043, but I don't see that as an issue.

What temperature are you planning to mash this at?? That will also seriously impact the FG.
I cannot get my hands on the crystal MO. So I may just use the crystal 50-60L which states it is used for ESB. I also use the acidulated malt for my pH since I use RO water. I will probably treat thay up with some calcium or salts as well. I am planning on mashing at 154F as usual unless there is the 152F range would be better...I will take the hop bursting into co.consideration but no guarantees just yet. Another thing is its hard to say from beer software to software because I have noticed they all seem to give different readings. With this I am actually at about 8 SRM. So...not sure...

Old 05-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I linked to where you can get your hands on Crystal MO easily. If you don't want to, that's fine, just don't say you can't get your hands on it.

I've been using BeerSmith for a while now (since before 2.0 was released) and find ti's pretty damned close in what it gives you for information. It might give color readings on the light side, but that could also be due to longer/harder boils on my part.

Just be aware that mashing at 154F you're into medium body, if not a bit more than medium. What you mash at really comes down to what you want for the body of the brew.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

EDIT: never mind.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Pugs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
I linked to where you can get your hands on Crystal MO easily. If you don't want to, that's fine, just don't say you can't get your hands on it.

I've been using BeerSmith for a while now (since before 2.0 was released) and find ti's pretty damned close in what it gives you for information. It might give color readings on the light side, but that could also be due to longer/harder boils on my part.

Just be aware that mashing at 154F you're into medium body, if not a bit more than medium. What you mash at really comes down to what you want for the body of the brew.
No I ment I cannot get ot at my brewing store and I just don't want to order it. I would rather substitute. Could I use like a roasted barley to get the color darker? Like 2oz. of a 550L? Also, what do you suggest for mash temp.?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Pugs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about something like this...
7# MO
6oz. British Crystal 50-60L
2oz. Acidulated Malt
2oz. Roasted Barley - 550L

The roasted barley brings the color up nicely.

USE TIME OZ
60 mins 1.0 Fuggles
20 mins 0.25 East Kent Goldings
15 mins 0.50 East Kent Goldings
10 mins 0.5 Fuggles
5 mins 0.5 Fuggles

Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Is darker color desirable in a Better Bitter/ESB?

Here is a pic of an ESB (95% MO, 2% Extra Dark Crystal 160L, 3% Caramalt 20L). I thought the 160L crystal masked the maltiness of the MO and will rebrew with crystal 60L-80L instead and perhaps scaled down from the OG of 1.056 to 1.050. I wonder if the roast barley might take over too much.

bcs-esb.jpg

Old 05-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Pugs13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith
Is darker color desirable in a Better Bitter/ESB?

Here is a pic of an ESB (95% MO, 2% Extra Dark Crystal 160L, 3% Caramalt 20L). I thought the 160L crystal masked the maltiness of the MO and will rebrew with crystal 60L-80L instead and perhaps scaled down from the OG of 1.056 to 1.050. I wonder if the roast barley might take over too much.
I have a SRM of 13 as of now...I was thinking of just using more 50-60L but yea I juat don't want to mask the otter too much...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

You only need to use acidulated malt to adjust the pH if you're dealing with extremely alkaline water. RO water is the opposite, it has no alkalinity. The malts will drop the pH enough. Look into the Brew Science forum for info on water chemistry.

Here's my super simple bitter recipe:
Grain
6# (80%) Maris Otter (or Pale Ale Malt or Golden Promise)
12 oz (10%) Crystal 40L
12 oz (10%) Turbinado Sugar

Mash @ 152°

Hops
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60
1 oz Fuggle @ 15
1 oz Fuggle @ 0

Quick Reply