Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Work on a Stout With Me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Agree with a lot of suggestions above, especially the MO base malt.

I was just going to add that what you brewed will taste better given some age. Even my lower gravity Irish Dry Stout that just kicked tasted far better after it smoothed out in keg for a few weeks.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Rake_Rocko
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Beers with high gravity, or lots of dark grains age very well especially if they are dark and of high gravity . Stouts and the like should always be aged so everything can blend together nicely.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
TheHairyHop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be sure to let you all know how the next batch comes out. The funny thing is, I was ready to start brewing some spring beers, but it started snowing again!

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
TheHairyHop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So, after this long wait I can confirm that the stout came out well. I used Scottish ale yeast and I don't regret it. It's taken a while for the beer to age out well, but it finally has. Next time I'll use less oatmeal and toast it, but I'm sipping on it right now and enjoying it thoroughly. Cheers

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Old 06-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I agree, if you're using English yeast and English hops, you might as use Marris Otter too. It will be grainier and maltier.

I use 8oz Roasted Barley, 8oz Chocolate, & 12oz Special B.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply