*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > WLP655 - Belgian Sour Mix

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
javedian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default WLP655 - Belgian Sour Mix

Anybody ever use White Labs WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix? I just ordered a vial with the intent of making a Kriek and possibly a Flanders Red or Oud Brun. I have never done a sour before.
From White Labs site:
A unique blend perfect for Belgian style beers. Includes Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus.

I have not found any useful info on the web yet. Any experience appreciated. I have a email off to White Labs, and will post any info I get back.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
OskeeI
Recipes 

If you waited a couple of months you could have gotten the Wyeast Roeselare blend.

A lot of brewers are fermenting in the primary with a clean yeast like White Labs American Ale and pitching the sour blend in the secondary.

Good thread on the Roeselare blend, but most likly applicable to your WL Sour blend,

http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=69895

Old 02-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
ScottD13
Recipes 

You'll have to add the sour mix after you ferment with yeast. I believe that the brett is actual yeast but the rest are just bugs. I would use the Roeselare blend but since you picked up the sour mix ferment first with a yeast that best suits you style - flanders red, brun or lambic, then pich the sour mix.

I've heard the Roeslare blend is about 50/50 Cal Ale Yeast/Sour Mix. So I'm sure you can fake it.

One thing to keep in mind the sooner you add the sour mix the more sour it will be....

Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD13
One thing to keep in mind the sooner you add the sour mix the more sour it will be....
Make it on the sour side and call it 'Up $hit Kriek'

Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD13
You'll have to add the sour mix after you ferment with yeast. I believe that the brett is actual yeast but the rest are just bugs.
Brettanomyces is a wild yeast, but WLP655 also contains Saccharomyces, which is normal brewing yeast. You can do the entire fermentation with WLP655.

Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Secondary #1 - The Jolly Toper's Undrinkable Ale
Secondary #2 - Empty

theempire Likes This 
Old 02-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a sour beer using the WLP Belgian Sour mix. Still in the fermenter, so I can't tell you anything more.

It does contain yeasties in addition to beasties.

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 02-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #7
javedian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

DraconianHand - Did it kick off OK? Did you use a starter, or just pitch the tube?

Here is the reply from White Labs:
Thank you for your inquiry. More information can be found at http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/bacteria.html.

I have also listed information below:

The sour mix is a blend of brewers yeast, lactic acid bacteria and brettanomyces. It was designed for homebrewers who cannot fully mimic the traditional spontaneous fermentation method of Belgian Lambic brewing.
Therefore, it can be used for primary fermentation since there is brewers yeast in it. Over time, it will produce the same characteristic sourness associated with this beer style. The sourness will definitely increase over time, particularly if maturing in oak barrels.

The more caution you can exercise while using this, the better. Once the blend takes hold, it can be very difficult to get rid of. It contains very hard, adaptable organisms, so can survive when least expected. It can be cross-contaminated between beers that have not been pitched with it. Keep these beers separate while fermenting.

We recommend using either glass or stainless fermentors, dedicating separate lines to sour beers, and using a rigorous cleaning procedure (wash with hot PBW or other caustic cleaner, followed by acid rinse if possible, and finish with a sanitizing agent). This will ensure you don't infect other beers.

You can add the blend at the same time you add fruit. The blend will be happy with the added sugar content of the fruit. Cherries are particularly good for this style as they maintain their flavor characteristics in fermentation rather than being metabolized.

Cheers!
JoAnne Carilli-Stevenson

Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't believe I used a starter, but I did get some krausen. I did a 5g batch in a 5g carboy and the krausen coated the neck of the carboy, but did not push through the airlock.

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
ScottD13
Recipes 

Didn't know that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong
Brettanomyces is a wild yeast, but WLP655 also contains Saccharomyces, which is normal brewing yeast. You can do the entire fermentation with WLP655.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

BUMP!

Anyone who used this earlier this year care to report results? I took a Flanders Red down to 1.018 with WLP011, then pitched in a starter of WLP655. It's been close to 3 weeks now and there's no pellicle. Should there be?

Were you happy with the results? How sour did your beers get?

Quick Reply