Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wit Pumpkin Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
biggerk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Wit Pumpkin Ale

Wit Pumpkin Ale.

Here's something I'm trying this weekend: A Belgian Wit White Pumpkin Ale. The base recipe is based on a Blue Moon copy I saw somewhere else on this board.

I had done a pumpkin ale from "The Homebrewers Recipe Guide" by Higgings, Kilgore and Hertlein (ISBN:0-684-82921-5) and its coming along good. Three weeks in bottle and I can start to taste it mellowing out.

So anyway, I was in the grocery store again and saw white pie pumpkins. When I mussed to my SWMBO / spousal-unit about doing another pumpkin ale, SHE suggested doing a belgian wit with the pumpkin...

4.5 lb: American 2-row
4.5 lb: Wheat Malt.
8-ish lb: baked white pie pumpkins
Hops (appropriate to Belgian Wit)
Orange Peel
Corainder
Belgian Wit yeast

Baked the pumkin at 350F for 2 hours with dried orage peel and a sprinkling of raw sugar. Cubed the flesh.

Single infusion,153-155, 60 min-ish, 170 sparge, collect enough to boil down to collect 5 gal.

Now the question: Do I add the pumpkin to the mash or the boil...? The last batch, I added it to the boil....I've seen both in recipes. (For extract brewer, adding to the boil is the only real option...)

Any thoughts appreciated...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Iordz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I use the mash method. I feel that the pumpkin gives me enough flavor from the mash and a little bit of sugar, without having to deal with losing a gallon and straining pumpkin out of the fermenter. This is how I do it but it's now the only way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply