Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Winter's bourbon cask ale clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Winter's bourbon cask ale clone

I am looking to formulate a WBCA clone brewed under the Michelob lable. If you have ever had it, it is heavy on the carmel and has a pronounced vanilla sweet taste, along with some mellow oak. there is only a slight bourbon nose that you have to look for to get. From the website they wrote this "Winter’s Bourbon Cask Ale is brewed with Carapils, caramel and two-row barley malts and imported Hallertau and Alsace hops. It is then aged on bourbon oak casks and whole Madagascar vanilla beans. Bitterness 17, 12.6 original gravity" Could someone please help me come up with a recipe for it. Perferably someone who has tasted this beer, if not a call to all those great recipe generators!

So far all i got is to soak the oak chips in bourbon and rack from primary onto these chips with 3 vanialla beans. I do not know how much oak chips to add either. I am just starting to creat my own and am not very good

Last edited by ekjohns; 01-11-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I had a sample of it, but I am by no means an expert on the beer. Personally I would go for something a bit hoppier, drier, and lighter on the vanilla, but happy to assist you in brewing a beer you enjoy.

Something like:
7 lbs Pale (if you get les than 75% eff, you might add another pound of pale)
1 lbs Crystal 60
.5 lb Carapils
.5 lbs Crystal 90

Mash @ 154 or so. OG around 1.050

17 IBUs of the hops of your choice at 60 min (Doesn't really matter what, but hallertau/strisselspalt if you want to stick to the original)

Ferment cool (~65) with a clean yeast, 1056/001 would probably be my choice.

Add the heavy toast american oak cubes (1-2 oz) that you soaked in bourbon along with the 3 vanilla beans (split) in secondary. Taste every week or so until the flavor is where you want it (if you aren't there after 3 weeks, and more beans and/or some bourbon).

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
ekjohns
Recipes 

cool thanks alot! would it be best to add the hops all at once at 60 min or do a 60 and 20 min addition. I know this beer is very light on hops so I would think 60 min would be fine do you agree?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i would only do a 60 minute addition. That beer focuses on the malt and oak more then the hops.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Last year I brewed Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale and the Boom Boom Vanilla. The Boom Boom was better than the Winter Cask IMO. Man I was just thinking about what to brew this weekend and I think it will be another Boom Boom!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/hint...369/#post82836

I am pretty sure AG recipes are in there somewhere.

shat happens

Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #6
ekjohns
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyRyan View Post
Last year I brewed Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale and the Boom Boom Vanilla. The Boom Boom was better than the Winter Cask IMO. Man I was just thinking about what to brew this weekend and I think it will be another Boom Boom!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/hint...369/#post82836

I am pretty sure AG recipes are in there somewhere.
sounds good could you describe it a bit more please? comparison to winter cask?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
ekjohns
Recipes 

does anyone know what the 12.6 original gravity mean?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 AM   #8
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Its in degrees plato.

12.6 Plato is approximately 1.050 in specific gravity

Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
sounds good could you describe it a bit more please? comparison to winter cask?
It’s been a while since I brewed these but I can still taste them just thinking about them! The Caramel Cream Ale is almost like candy. It reminds me of toffee or worthers original candy. The beer has a thick mouth feel and a definite toffee and vainly flavor. Just a word or caution read up on both recipes because some find the vanilla to be a bit much so you may want to scale it back a little. I myself found using all extract as I did for the first batch to be a little much. Not bad but it was so much like candy that 2 pints was about the limit for me per day.

When I did the Boom Boom I used only extract in the boil and the rest of the vanilla I made by slicing up some vanilla beans and soaking them in a beer bottle with a few ounces of bourbon. I shook this daily for about 3 weeks while the beer was fermenting and then used that for the vanilla at bottling and it was perfect. I did put more bourbon in mine since my vanilla was made with the bourbon and I still added more bourbon at bottling but it really smoothed out after a few weeks. Everyone who tried my Boom Boom immediately said that it reminded them of the Cask Ale but with a more pronounced vanilla and bourbon taste and more body. And the smell that will be coming from your fermenter will drive you crazy. Both of these are the best smelling beers I have ever brewed. I like bourbon so I went all out in mine if your not too sure then I would 1/2 the bourbon in you bottling bucket or keg give it a swirl then taste it and judge if you need more.

Ryan

shat happens

Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
ekjohns
Recipes 

so did you use 4 beans then during bottling? which would be around $20 in beans alone! you said the vanilla extract seemed harsh. was this pure or imitation extract? was it a nice extract or cheapo extract. Also just wanted to make sure you did 2 onces of vanilla extract during boiling then additional vanilla (4 oz or 4 beans) during bottleing

Quick Reply