Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Winter Warmer Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread23 View Post
Will 16lbs of base malt really produce a 1.080 beer at 12 gallons volume?

No , but I was accounting for 2 pounds of oats, 8 pounds of pumpkin and four pounds of sugar.

Now I think I am going with 6 oz molasses and 2.0 pounds brown sugar.

I have never brewed with pumpkin before, but I would assume that 8 pounds in a mash should yield some fermentables. If I hit 1.065 to 1.070 I will be perfectly happy with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
No , but I was accounting for 2 pounds of oats, 8 pounds of pumpkin and four pounds of sugar.

Now I think I am going with 6 oz molasses and 2.0 pounds brown sugar.

I have never brewed with pumpkin before, but I would assume that 8 pounds in a mash should yield some fermentables. If I hit 1.065 to 1.070 I will be perfectly happy with it.
I would error on the side of caution when considering the fermentables the pumpkin will give. They have lots of starch, but no enzymes to convert them. You'll be relying on the diastatic power of the malt to convert the malt starches and the pumpkin starches. Also note, that if you want sugar from the pumpkin, you'll need to gelatinize their starches to make them accessible to enzymes for conversion. I don't know the temperature this occurs in pumpkin starches, but it may require some pre-cooking to get it to work.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
permo
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread23 View Post
I would error on the side of caution when considering the fermentables the pumpkin will give. They have lots of starch, but no enzymes to convert them. You'll be relying on the diastatic power of the malt to convert the malt starches and the pumpkin starches. Also note, that if you want sugar from the pumpkin, you'll need to gelatinize their starches to make them accessible to enzymes for conversion. I don't know the temperature this occurs in pumpkin starches, but it may require some pre-cooking to get it to work.
I roasted three pie pumkins at 350 degrees for two hours. I then cooled them and removed the meat. I placed the meat in ziplock backs in the freezer and will unthaw them before brewday. I am assuming that this extended cooking time should have adequately gelatenized the starches. I weighed the bags of pumpkin prior to freezing and I have 8 pounds and 4 ounces of fully cooked pumpkin ready to go.

Looking back I should have thrown a few pounds of six row in the grist, but oh well.

Quick Reply