The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Winter Spiced Ale - critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Default Winter Spiced Ale - critique

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 14 lbs
Weyermann Munich Type II 1 lbs
Briess Victory 0 lbs, 6 oz
Special B 0 lbs, 8 oz
Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal 0 lbs, 8 oz
Crisp Pale Chocolate Malt 0 lbs, 6 oz
Briess Special Roast Malt 0 lbs, 6 oz
40 IBU Magnum at 60
1 broaken up cinnamon stick at 10
1 cracked up nutmeg at 10
6 whole cloves at 10
no finishing hops
OG = 1.070
Mash at 155, Pacman Yeast

I was thinking about possibly steaping the spices in spiced rum and adding that in secondary to create a fortified spiced winter ale......

what do you all think? With pacman it seems I finish super dry, regardless of mash temp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 63

When I actually want to taste the spices I tend to add them to the secondary (usually whole/ground directly or as a spice tea). You can always add the spices to the boil and then add more spiced rum at bottling to adjust the flavor.

Otherwise the recipe looks fine to me although 1 lb of really dark crystal is probably more than I would use (maybe swap the Special B for CaraMunich or something mid-range like that). Good luck

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
When I actually want to taste the spices I tend to add them to the secondary (usually whole/ground directly or as a spice tea). You can always add the spices to the boil and then add more spiced rum at bottling to adjust the flavor.

Otherwise the recipe looks fine to me although 1 lb of really dark crystal is probably more than I would use (maybe swap the Special B for CaraMunich or something mid-range like that). Good luck
Thank you for the advice, I did follow it. I ditched the C150 (I love me my special B) for 6 oz C80 and 4 oz C40. I downed the munich just a touch, and upped the base. Swapped the pale choco out for straight choco.

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 14 lbs, 8 oz
Special B 0 lbs, 8 oz
Crisp Chocolate Malt 0 lbs, 4 oz
Weyermann Munich Type II 0 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Special Roast Malt 0 lbs, 6 oz
Briess Victory 0 lbs, 6 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 80 0 lbs, 4 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 0 lbs, 6 oz

Now I know I earlier said spices, but I wonder if I shouldn't just chinook the crap out of this thing!?

Quick Reply