New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Winter brews!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I like rich, flavorful brews in the winter. I have an oatmeal stout aging, and which I expect to be ready in November. I'm also sitting on a barleywine that I brewed the weekend before Christmas last year, an I'm planning on tapping it on Christmas this year.

As for future brews. I think I'll brew up a Dubbel for when the stout goes dry and a 4.0ABV Scottish 70/- for when my summery lawnmower beers run out.

Oh, and cider. I love having good fall cider in the winter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Ethan19993
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I like rich, flavorful brews in the winter. I have an oatmeal stout aging, and which I expect to be ready in November. I'm also sitting on a barleywine that I brewed the weekend before Christmas last year, an I'm planning on tapping it on Christmas this year.

As for future brews. I think I'll brew up a Dubbel for when the stout goes dry and a 4.0ABV Scottish 70/- for when my summery lawnmower beers run out.

Oh, and cider. I love having good fall cider in the winter.
I've been thinking about trying a Dubbel, though i'm not to familiar with them. Flavor characteristics?

Old 09-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #13
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 808 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 1820

I'm brewing a Wee Heavy and a Robust Porter with Vanilla in the next few weeks for drinking in the deep dark nights of winter. Here's the recipe for the Wee Heavy http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Wee_Heavy.html

Old 09-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I've got a few gallons of Dubbel aging and an October Ale that will get 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks cool conditioning, and two weeks in bottles by Ofest time. I also just bottled and Old Ale I brewed in early July that'll be great for this fall/winter. I'm jonesing for a stout/porter, though! I am also ready for the malty stuff, but have only saison and IPA at the moment. Next brews will be Belgain IPA for a change of pace in winter and yeast propagation for a big Dubbel (dark fruity, spicy, and malty flavors) for April when baby should be born. Then I'll get a stout done! I need to keep something malty around in the summer and something hoppy in the winter so I don't get bored.

#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Chanel on Pipe Smoking

Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
inthesound
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Working on a few things. Favorite fall beer? ESB. I've already made this recipe 4 or 5 times this year. As winter approaches, I want to do an old ale, English IPA (potentially oaked), breakfast stout, black IPA, robust porter, etc. Dubbel is a really good cool weather beer, quite complex, yet super drinkable for their abv. I haven't made any Belgians at home, but I worry I don't have enough heat at home in the winter. Ferment it using a Trappist ale yeast at 80-85 and watch the fruity character of that yeast come alive. It's a beautiful thing.

I have a lot of brewing to get done!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #16
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Anything higher gravity and on the dark side is good during the colder months. I like RISs when I have time to relax in the evening, but a good Biere de Garde, English brown, or Dubbel is great when I want something a bit lighter and easier to drink.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Quick Reply