New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Winter Blonde Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
ciphin78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Winter Blonde Ideas

I brewed this recipe almost 2 weeks ago:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/strawberry-alarm-clock-v3-0-strawberry-blonde-132129/

I made 10 gallons and this weekend I'll be taking 5 gallons and adding the strawberries. I'd like to do something different with the other 5 gals. My wife asked if I could make the other 5 a "winter" type beer. So, I need some ideas of what I could do with this blonde recipe in secondary to make it "winter'y".

Maybe cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg? Or, I've heard of spruce tips (not sure I'd be a fan of that). What do you guys think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3464

A lot of "winter/christmas" beers are just white/wit beer based with your basic "winter spices" like you mentioned. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, ginger. citrus peel....even some of the "odder" spices work well in those blends, like cardamom or coriander.

Also dark fruits are common, figs, dates, plums, also pumpkin, sweet potato, cranberries....Heck even organic mince meat might be interesting (Just make sure it doesn't contain suet or fat.)

Think about the desserts and foods available at this time of year, and those are the flavors that you can work into a good base beer.

That blonde base with maybe figs or dates and a nice spice blend would be perfect.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply