Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Windsor Yeast flavors, like or dislike, I think I hate it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Windsor Yeast flavors, like or dislike, I think I hate it!

I think I'm deciding that I don't care for Windsor yeast... AT ALL! I've used it a few times and find it odd at best!

The flavor I get isn't fruity slightly estery classic British yeast character. It's almost funky, and no it isn't contaminated I've had this character in every brew I've used Windsor in. I love Notty and my favorite English yeast is WLP013 with it's funky almost wood like character. However this yeast is just muddy, it's sort of like a bark and leaf character joined with a bitter yeasty character with some fresh hop or green leaf character, almost vegetable but not with just a hint of frutiness.

I've even used it in conjunction with other yeast in an Imp. Stout that I've won awards with, even got a 44 in a big competition and didn't place... but I could still detect this green-woody character which I don't like even in that wonderful brew.

Am I crazy or do others get this from this yeast?

Fwiw my current brew is a base malt of 6# munich, 1 # 2 row, and 4 oz english extra dark crystal with early bittering hops and a touch of hops late for a little character. Simple, small, should be malty goodness I've sandwiched between a couple of hoppy brews... but thus far I'm not enjoying it! I wanted a simple brew to highlight the munich have a little other character .... but NO!

edit: just checked my recipe and the bittering addition was 1/2 oz Cluster and the flavor/aroma at 15 mins was 1/2 oz Cluster hops. Also apparently I'm not alone - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/win...48/index2.html

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

highgravitybacon Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply