Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Windsor Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
2pugbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Windsor Yeast

I used Windsor yeast in a Goat Scrotum Ale (Papazian) with an OG of 1.047. It started bubbling after about 12 hours but not vigorously. After 3 days it stopped. SG after 4 days was 1.027. I've read in forums that Windsor will "leave a relatively high gravity" and "not as quick as Nottingham"(?), and "I think the attenuation on it is such that it just finishes high."
I this what others have found about Windsor; is the1.027 close to the best I can expect?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
wildcatgrad7
Recipes 

Did You Aerate The Beer Before Pitching The Yeast?????? WHAT TEMP. DID YOU PITCH THE YEAST AT???

Old 10-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pugbrews
I used Windsor yeast in a Goat Scrotum Ale (Papazian) with an OG of 1.047. It started bubbling after about 12 hours but not vigorously. After 3 days it stopped. SG after 4 days was 1.027. I've read in forums that Windsor will "leave a relatively high gravity" and "not as quick as Nottingham"(?), and "I think the attenuation on it is such that it just finishes high."
I this what others have found about Windsor; is the1.027 close to the best I can expect?
Your OG for the Scrotum was only 1.047? I don't remember the recipe, but I did just bottle my own version of the Scrotum, and I seem to remember the gravity being higher. Maybe it was just my version... With all those adjuncts, I wouldn't trust a low gravity.

Yeah, dude, 1.027 is pretty high for something that started out so low in the first place. I mean, my 1.123 OG barleywine finished up around 1.030...so I'd definitely worry that this beer will be sweet with low alcohol. You're looking at 2.63% ABV. I don't know anything about windsor yeast, but your attentuation for this particular fermentation was 41.58%...in other words, really bad. Like I said, I don't know about Windsor, but I highly doubt that it's supposed to have a mere 41% attenuation rate.

I'd check out other variables. Did you make a starter? What temp did you pitch at? What kind of crazy adjuncts did you use in the Goat Scrotum?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Windsor is highly flocculant and it may have dropped before finishing. It should have given you a FG around 1.014-16. If you haven't tried rousing the yeast, give the fermenter a swirl. If it doesn't get going again, I'd re-pitch.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
LBbrew
Recipes 

i second the re-pitch. I used windsor on my first batch. It only got to 1.026 and stayed there. It was my first one and made some mistakes, but wanted to drink it, so I bottled. It wasn't done. At two weeks it wasn't bad. after week three, it overcarbed and got funky.

my carboys sk8

Quick Reply