Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Windsor Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
cimirie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Windsor Yeast

So, I've scoured the internet (and the manufacturers and sellers websites) and cannot find an answer to my quandry: What alcohol tolerance does Windsor yeast have? They say it leaves a relatively high final gravity (which is part of the reason I picked it - I'm looking for a non-dry cider) without being specific at all. Does anybody have an idea?

For reference I'm making a cranberry apple cider with a OG of roughly 1.070. I pitched 2 days ago but now I'm second guessing myself using this yeast strain. I'm fine if it'll drop to 1.017-1.018. I just don't want it to finish in the 1.020+ range and be too syruppy. But I didn't want an overly dry product either.

So enough about my hopes and dreams and back to the original question. Can anybody shed some light on the topic?

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Last edited by cimirie; 03-16-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

For almost any cider (or fermentation where the majority of sugars are very simplified) pretty much any yeast will eat nearly all the sugar. I've done many a cider (not cranberry though, so ymmv) and even with the least-attenuating yeast I've never gotten a FG above 1.004.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

It's going to dry it down, my "guess" would be it's going to be 1.00 - 1.002.
Either way it's to late now. Myself I would not have used that yeast, it's not really a "clean" fermenting yeast. It will give off some esters that I would not want in a cider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402 View Post
It's going to dry it down, my "guess" would be it's going to be 1.00 - 1.002.
Either way it's to late now. Myself I would not have used that yeast, it's not really a "clean" fermenting yeast. It will give off some esters that I would not want in a cider.
Believe it or not, I am looking for the esters - which is another reason I chose this yeast. I know it's perhaps not traditional for a cider, but I'm experimenting. There are three different fruit flavors in the cider already (as I used apple and cranberry/raspberry juice) so I thought an estery "fruit" taste might not be a bad add. We'll see.

If Windsor (which is not supposed to attenuate all that much) will still bring the G reading down to 1.002 or so, which yeast would you recommend for a bottle-conditioned sparkling cider with residual sweetness?

Thanks for the feedback, all!

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimirie View Post
Believe it or not, I am looking for the esters - which is another reason I chose this yeast. I know it's perhaps not traditional for a cider, but I'm experimenting. There are three different fruit flavors in the cider already (as I used apple and cranberry/raspberry juice) so I thought an estery "fruit" taste might not be a bad add. We'll see.

If Windsor (which is not supposed to attenuate all that much) will still bring the G reading down to 1.002 or so, which yeast would you recommend for a bottle-conditioned sparkling cider with residual sweetness?

Thanks for the feedback, all!
you cannot achieve a bottle conditioned sweet cider using just juice, yeast and a normal sugar. You have a few options here, some work better than others. First, you can let the yeast eat all the sugars, then add an unfermentable sugar such as Splenda, Stevia, Lactose, xythol, etc. to taste along with the priming sugar. The other is adding some form of malt sugar (dme, malt sugar, steeping carapils/crystal malt), which will not ferment down as far.

The first option is the one that I would do IF a sweet cider is what I am after (I'm much more of a fan of dry ciders in general). The malt option I feel is too wierd and close to 'malt beverage' for my liking, I say keep your malt for beer, keep it out of wine/cider making. IMHO. YMMV. HAND.

oh. and s-04 is my go-to cider yeast.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 AM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
which is not supposed to attenuate all that much
Cider is all simple sugars, so you get almost 100% actual attenuation up to the ABV tolerance, which is 7-8%.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
The other is adding some form of malt sugar (dme, malt sugar, steeping carapils/crystal malt), which will not ferment down as far.
That really intrigues me. Next time I brew a cider I think I will try steeping a pound or two of C-10.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

If you're looking for a somewhat sweeter cider, you've also got the options adding a non-fermentable sugar (like lactose). If you're doing a still cider (or kegging), you can kill the yeast with some campden tablets and backsweeten.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply