Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Willamette based PA/IPA recipe advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Willamette based PA/IPA recipe advice

I'm planning on brewing an extract-based pale ale/IPA (I feel like it might be a tweener) using Willamette finishing hops. My planned recipe is as follows:

5 gals:

7 lbs extra light DME
1 lb caramunich
1/2 lb carapils
1 oz. Bravo hops @ 13.6% AA - boil
1 oz. Willamette @ 4.4% - 20 minutes
1 oz. Willamette @ 4.4% - 5 minutes
1/2 oz. Willamette dry hop

How does this sound to you guys? I'd appreciate any feedback as I'm relatively new to formulating my own recipes. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
FatDuc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In Beer Alchemy this comes in a little high on the IBU for an American IPA, at about 74, but if you're only doing a partial boil you'll likely not get full utilization of the hops. ABV comes in at ~5.8, but that's based on 75% attenuation, which could very well be higher than that. You might consider using regular light DME instead of extra light, because it looks like the color is supposed to be around 6 SRM, but again, using DME and putting it in early in the boil, you'll likely get a darker beer in the end anyways, so extra light should be fine too.

Doesn't look too bad to me.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 05-16-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I love Willamette and your recipe looks good. I have never dry hopped with them though so maybe someone will come along and relate their experience. How large is your boil volume. If it is less than 3 gallons consider adding at least one half with 15 minutes remaining as you will get better hop extraction and it won't be quite as dark.

Gary

Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Welcome greenbirds! Willamette hops make excellent flavor/aroma hops so I'll bet your IPA turns out great. You could even get away with dry hopping a little more, but I'm a hop head so maybe that's overkill.

cheers

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 AM   #5
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for your input.

Blender, my boil will be about 3 gallons, so are you saying I should add half the DME for the whole (60 minute) boil, and half with 15 minutes left? I'll update the thread periodically to let you know how this thing ends up.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 AM   #6
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbirds View Post
Thanks for your input.

Blender, my boil will be about 3 gallons, so are you saying I should add half the DME for the whole (60 minute) boil, and half with 15 minutes left? I'll update the thread periodically to let you know how this thing ends up.
I should let blender speak for himself, but I believe that's exactly what he's saying. A late extract addition will reduce caramelization and thus lighten the color of your beer. I'm not sure how this increases hop extraction though. Maybe less extract in the water allows for more of the hop goodness (that's a technical term) to be released?
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbirds View Post
Thanks for your input.

Yeah, because your boil will have less gravity it will make hop utilization rise as well as keep the beer lighter. Just be very careful when adding it during the last 15 minutes and make sure the pot is off the heat so the DME won't scorch. Bring it back to boil for the final 15 minutes.

Gary

Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I used some Willamette as a dry hop in my Sacred Summit Pale Ale and it was very nice.

Gives a tasty floral aroma to the beer.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts

FYI. See here. Check out the discussion below the recipe. If you're hoping for a strong hop character from this small amount of Willamette, I'd think again. I used 6.5oz of willamette in addition to everything else, and it's still pretty mild. That was my experiment with Willamette. If you expect it to be like a typical American IPA, don't. It's nice and spicy and mild, more of a british style IPA.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
greenbirds
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Wow, Evan. That's quite a recipe. Perhaps I'll pick up an extra ounce or so and change the schedule to 20, 10, and 2.

Quick Reply