The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Will this work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #21
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsdizzo
Yea. I gues everyone starts off like I am.
Yes, all of us have been beginners at some point, but none I know tried making an alcoholic beverage with just Sugar before. That's where most of the resonses from this forum are coming from. It appears that you are just trying to make cheap alcohol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #22
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I would think by the time you look at the expense of the ingredients, time involved, and quality of the finished product you'd be better off bribing a bum to get you some rotgut from the liquor store.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #23
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Yes, you read that correctly - alcohol is basically fungus piss. Think about THAT the next time you see some attractive member of the opposite sex downing a shot at a bar!
BAAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHhahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

as suprising as it sounds this very recipe/procedure turned up with a couple of guys at our local hbs. down to putting more sugar and yeast in as asked above.

apparently people drink this stuff -

Old 05-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #24
cbsdizzo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Yes, all of us have been beginners at some point, but none I know tried making an alcoholic beverage with just Sugar before. That's where most of the resonses from this forum are coming from. It appears that you are just trying to make cheap alcohol.
Exactly. Me and my friends found that article on a chem site, because we are interested in chemistry. I didn't have the resources/or the money at that time to make real beer. Making alcohol in general interests me. I wish you would be more constructive... I just want to learn. Thanks

Old 05-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #25
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Making alcohol in general interests me. I wish you would be more constructive... I just want to learn. Thanks
Fair enough. Perhaps I was a bit too harsh earlier.

Making alcohol is easy. You put yeast and sugar together in water. Nature does the rest.

From there, things start getting more... refined, I guess is a good word. Where you get the sugar from dictates what you are making

fruit = wine
malted grain = beer
honey = mead
table sugar = hooch

www.howtobrew.com will walk you though just about everything you need to know to get started brewing beer with various methods; using malt extract (a sugar syrup made from mashed grains), extract+grain, and all grain.

I don't know of an equivalent on-line source for the details of making wine or mead. I think you might have already found the definitive source for making hooch.

Once you get the general process (fermentation) down, you will find that you are master of your domain and can turn just about any sugary liquid into an alcoholic beverage.... it's just a matter of what you want the final product to look & taste like.

-walker

Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #26
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My dad's a junior high science teacher from the old school. He doesn't get to do as much fun stuff anymore, but he used to do all kinds of semi-dangerous, usually fire related, "experiments" with his students. Now there is a whole generation of people in the Huntington beach area with singed (sp?) eyebrows and great memories of science class.

On the "making cheap alcohol" front, he put in some work, too. He made alcohol in petri dishes with cane sugar and yeast, then distilled it in class. The kids thought it was awesome, but some got headaches from the fumes..

He also has a dead monkey floating in a 2 gallon jar. Super freaky.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #27
cbsdizzo
Recipes 

I totally agree. THe sugar stuff was just basically an experiment. We just wanted the satisfaction of making our own alcohol! That was the whole idea behind it. Everyone is just saying to go out and buy our own alcohol for the same price, but I want the satisfaction of making my own. I am going to buy a kit from ebay.... or another site with the 2 6.5 gallon buckets, a 5 gallon carboy, auto siphon, spigot, hydrometer, thermometer, ETC... We will see how it all goes.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #28
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I totally agree. THe sugar stuff was just basically an experiment. We just wanted the satisfaction of making our own alcohol! That was the whole idea behind it. Everyone is just saying to go out and buy our own alcohol for the same price, but I want the satisfaction of making my own. I am going to buy a kit from ebay.... or another site with the 2 6.5 gallon buckets, a 5 gallon carboy, auto siphon, spigot, hydrometer, thermometer, ETC... We will see how it all goes.

Then explain the whole thing about putting it above your buddy's ceiling tiles. I think that you may be underage, which is why I find it very unethical to help you learn about making cheap alcohol.

Just my $.02.

Additionally, I love this site because everyone here seems to be genuinely interested in promoting the responsible brewing of great beers. If this place turns into a "let's all make cheap alcohol that we can drink before we are 21 kind of place," I feel that the integrity of the art of homebrewing is also at stake.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #29
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt
I think that you may be underage, which is why I find it very unethical to help you learn about making cheap alcohol.
Good point. Though I'm not a believer in a drinking age of 21 (18 is certainly better), I acknowledge it in this country. If you are indeed underaged and want to make cheap alc, all the info is out there and you don't need our help.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #30
cbsdizzo
Recipes 

I dont want to make cheap alcohol. I want to learn how to brew beer.

Quick Reply