*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Will Galaxy, Centennial & Amarillo, play well together?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
expatbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will Galaxy, Centennial & Amarillo, play well together?

Living in Singapore I have limited access to grains, and need to use my hops wisely (shipping from US to Singapore isn't cheap)

I prefer dry and crisp IPAs (dogfish 60min, sierra nevada ipa) over the thick sweet malty West Coast.

IPA
Grain Bill
5kg 2-Row
.25kg CaraAroma
400g for sugar (added to boil)

Mash
mashed at 149F for 60 min
5.5 Gallons
SG 1.062
90 min boil

Hops
60 min .5 Apollo
10 min 1 oz Galaxy and 1 oz Centennial
0 min - 1 oz Galaxy and .5 oz Amarillo
@180 F - Hop-Stand for 30 min: 2 oz Galaxy, 1 oz Centennial, 1 oz Amarillo

Pitch Nottingham

• Will these hops play well together?
  • How do these amounts look?
  • Will the hop steep add enough aroma, or do I still need to dry hop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Dry hop the "180 F" additions.

Short answer= Yes.

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 04-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Not sure where you are getting "thick sweet malty" with "West coast" as the west coast IPAs tend to finish drier.

I don't think you'll have any troubles combining those hops. Not sure about amounts, and I'm way too lazy to look up AA% and do calculations for the hop additions you list.

0.5oz for an IPA sounds a little light on bitterness addition IBUs to me. I suppose you are counting on the hop bursting at the end to contribute an appropriate level of bitterness, but you ought to be careful as a few minutes of boil time, a slight difference in AA% from storage conditions, or a small measurement error when weighing can dramatically change the way your beer ends up tasting. Even if you end up with the best IPA you've ever had this time, good luck reproducing it later on.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Apollo is at 18% or more... he's good.

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
expatbrew
Recipes 

Apollo 18.5%
Galaxy 14%
Centennial 10%
Amarillo 9%

No including flame-out or hop-steep, the IBU's should be about 55 IBU

thick/sweet/malty = higher amounts of crystal malts and mash temps of 152-153

Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looks ok, I'd keep one oz of galaxy and another of amarillo from the hop stand and use them to dry hop (keeping galaxy and centennial for hop stand).

Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
TheHairyHop
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wouldn't use Amarillo for the dry hop. To me, fruitier hops do better with a stand. 30 minutes is a bit low, go for an hour. I also suggest dry hopping, but maybe with a combo of Centennial and Galaxy. Is that all the hops you have?

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
expatbrew
Recipes 

For hop steep, how do you decide on 1 hour vs. 30 min? Is it utilization rate, or time till saturation? I'm still learning...

Hops on hand;
Simcoe
Belma
Zythos
polaris
Falcners flight
Galaxy
Apollo
Summit
Columbus
Calypso
Amarillo
Centennial

In the mail, soon to be delivered;
Citra
Simcoe
Mosaic
Cascade

Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
TheHairyHop
Recipes 

you get bitterness, but not too much. The extra length is for flavor. I recently did a hop stand with citra, chinook, simcoe and amarillo. The citra and amarillo popped enormously. I dry hopped with the same and the chinook and simcoe came through then. Just my experience. The steep produces hop flavor and some aroma. Think of it like a tea. My "IPA" came out tasting like hop nectar

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
TheHairyHop
Recipes 

I did .5 ounces of each of the strains I listed for 30 min at 180 and then .5 more of each for 30 more at 160. No bittering or boil hops. I don't necessarily suggest to mime my brew (I'm still experimenting) but you will really like the flavor of 1 hour steeps of any fruity hop

Quick Reply