Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wife's Away Brewing v2.0 Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Wife's Away Brewing v2.0 Recipes

SWMBO's away again this weekend, so its time for another multiple brew weekend. I'm not going to brew 5 again though, just 3 this time. I want to make the most of it because we're moving soon, so I won't be able to brew for 1-2 months. Here goes:

1. Saison, 3711 VSS French Saison w/ RR bugs: ~1.067 SG; 75% Pils, 15% Sugar, 5% Wheat Malt, 5% Munich. Hallertau @ 60,15,5 min's. Mash @ 148F

2. Berliner Weisse, 3191 VSS Berliner Blend: 1.036 SG; ~50/50-Wheat/Pils, Hallertau to 5 IBU's, Single(?) decoction no-boil method( like the 6th post down: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=53415&highlight=berliner)

3. JW Lees Harvest Ale Clone(Sorta'), Irish Ale or Nottingham: 1.113 SG; 86% Maris Otter, 4% Crystal 40, 10% Belgian Dark Candi Syrup. East Kent Goldings @ 60, 15 mins. Mash @ 150F ~70 IBU's

The JW Lees is from clone brews but I'm adding Dark Candi to add toffee/caramel complexity and hopefully have a drier/less sweet final beer. I like barleywine's a bit drier, and don't like making them too bitter to balance the sweetness. The beer will be too dark for the style, but I don't care. It should taste like a BW, just with a different complexity.

Whatya' think? Any changes/improvements/advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

All 3 sound tasty. I made a BW about 2 weeks ago as well. Did something a little different with this one. The first one I pitched the yeast and the bacteria at the same time, so the bacteria was kinda bidin it's time until some alcohol was produced. That was Pedio. This time, I let the fermentation go for about 1-2 days, then dumped in the bacteria (Lacto). What bacteria are you using for your BW? 3-5 batches at a time? You got my nod!!! I only do 10 gallons/month.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer
What bacteria are you using for your BW? 3-5 batches at a time? You got my nod!!! I only do 10 gallons/month.
The one listed above is Wyeast new VSS strain for January-March; 3191, here's a thread on it:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50043
And here are the details from Wyeast:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/vssprogram.cfm?website=2

It's a blend of German Ale, Lacto, and Brett Your two BW's sound interesting, let us know how they turn out.

Quick Reply