Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Widmer Bros "Drifter Pale Ale"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
ILOVEBEER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Widmer Bros "Drifter Pale Ale"

I think I found my new favorite beer (atleast for today) and wanted to know if anyone had a clone recipe they would care to share. I do AG with a RIMS system so I should be able to replicate it with some help.

Thanks
Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
HelperMunkee
Recipes 

I like this beer as well, then I found out they were in bed with Budweiser. Prolly a shrewd business maneuver, but left a bad taste in my mouth nonetheless.

As far as a recipe goes shouldn't be too complicated. Usually the best first place to look is the website. Good luck!

http://www.widmer.com/beer_drifter.aspx

Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you for the help...I do not have any brew software or that much experience with AG yet and could use a tried and true recipe if anyone has it.

Thanks
Joe

Old 01-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This recipe is not tried and true, but it's what I plan on following when I try my hand at a Drifter clone this spring. There's not a lot of hard info out there, so I went off of the Widmer site and played around in Beersmith. It's too bad they don't list the SRM. Anyway, you might give this a shot:

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.74 %
Estimated Bitterness: 35.3 IBU
Est Color: 10.7 SRM

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %

Bittering:
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.0 IBU

Flavor/Aroma:
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [15.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU

Dry Hop:
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Summit [15.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 154.

Like I said.. not tried and true, but it should be fairly close. I haven't had a bottle of Drifter around to see what the color actually is, so the cara malts might stand a bit of adjusting.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

cool...thanks for the help.

I am only to assume this is for a 5 gal batch?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Oh, yeah. 5 gallon batch.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 01-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

14.28% of the grist as crystal malts? That's a bit high, and I don't remember drifter being that sweet. I'd say drop the carapils and replace it with an equal amount of the base malt, especally if you're going to mash at 154, as that much crystal and a 154 mash temp would make it underattenuate and you'd be left with a really sweet beer, and not in a good way, imho.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
14.28% of the grist as crystal malts? That's a bit high, and I don't remember drifter being that sweet. I'd say drop the carapils and replace it with an equal amount of the base malt, especally if you're going to mash at 154, as that much crystal and a 154 mash temp would make it underattenuate and you'd be left with a really sweet beer, and not in a good way, imho.
Well, C20 barely even counts as crystal. ;-)

I have no trouble getting good attenuation with 10-12% crystal. Your experience may be different. As an example, one of my last beers was an ESB mashed at 154, with 10% crystal (60 and 120). I got 79% apparent attenuation, for a final gravity of 1.011.

I s'pose I could drop the carapils to 4 oz, C20 to 12oz and bump caravienne up to 1 lb. That'll decrease the body and keep SRM about the same. We're shooting for a 1.012 FG here.. nothing too hard to hit.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

there's a big difference between 10% crystal and a touch over 14% My ESB is 10% crystal as well. If you drop the carapils it drops you at just about 10% crystal, which is perfect IMHO.

And C20 is most certainly a crystal, carapils and caravienne as well.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if anyone ever came up with a good clone, but Drifter is based on the Widmer 07 brewmaster beer. I think the only difference is that in drifter they are also using Nelson Sauvin.

I was going to work on cloning that beer, but never got around to it. Though I remember having some discussions with people about it

Quick Reply