Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Why all the hate for leaf hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
senfo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Why all the hate for leaf hops?

I've done two batches recently with leaf hops and I have to say, I never want to go back to the pellets ever again. Sure, they take up more room in the fridge, but they're significantly easier to work with and don't make as much of a mess.

I don't have a hop basket (should probably get one), so I just let the hops swim around freely in the kettle the same way I did with pellets. I always filter my wort with a funnel & screen. The pellets are a royal pain because they easily get clogged in the screen. The leaf hops sit in the funnel, but allow the wort to easily flow through them.

I just finished bottling an IPA I dry-hopped with Falconers Flight (I can only find them in pellet form) and I saw bits of hops flowing through the hose as I was siphoning into the bottling bucket. I'm fairly convinced I'm going to have hops in the bottles as a result. Leaf hops would have never done this.

I, for one, love leaf hops. Am I the only one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Leaf hops get all the hate? I must have missed that memo

Most brewers I know consider it to be a relatively minor point of personal preference.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I don't think i've ever seen any "hate" threads about leaf hops. I use and enjoy both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?
Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
senfo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I guess "hate" is a strong word, but I've come across quite a few people saying they'd never go back to leaf hops and recommending pellets to the newbies. I guess I just don't understand what there is to like about pellets other than their size.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I think you need to read more threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?
Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I just love "drama" thread like this where the thread poster thinks there's some big "controversy" about something, and the rest of us just scratch our heads......I've been on here for how long, and have NEVER come across any debate re: pellets vs whole or anything like that. In fact in all my years on here I think Whole -vs-Pellet is the one thing NOT debated on here.....I can't recall it ever coming up. It's probably one of the few things on here that HASN'T garnered any debate....

So howsabout that whole glass -vs- plastic thing...

Or aluminum -vs- stainless???

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by senfo View Post
I guess "hate" is a strong word, but I've come across quite a few people saying they'd never go back to leaf hops and recommending pellets to the newbies. I guess I just don't understand what there is to like about pellets other than their size.
I've advised many people to switch to pellets, and I've advised many people to switch to leaf. To some extent one's system can definitely favor one over the other. A lot of the recommendations come when somebody is having a particular problem with either pellet-ness or leaf-ness.

I tend to prefer pellet hops along with boxers, vanilla ice cream, and brunettes.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just love "drama" thread like this where the thread poster thinks there's some big "controversy" about something, and the rest of us just scratch our heads......I've been on here for how long, and have NEVER come across any debate re: pellets vs whole or anything like that. In fact in all my years on here I think Whole -vs-Pellet is the one thing NOT debated on here.....I can't recall it ever coming up. It's probably one of the few things on here that HASN'T garnered any debate....
Check the similar threads box below your post?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Check the similar threads box below your post?
Wow...Holy crap, really? I've never noticed it before...

Uh....Pellets dammit, leaf users are clearly evil, who use only secondaries, glass and stainless, and vote republican...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

annasdadhockey Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

It is funny though, there was a debate in 2007, then nothing til 2011...then a couple in 2012. So what happened between 2007 and 2011 where noone gave a flying ****?

Quick Reply