Whole Hop Doh'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelersrbrun

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA Friday using whole leaf hops for the 1st time. 1 ounce citra and 1 ounce centennial. I ran off about 1.25 ounces and it clogged like nothing I have ever seen. Long story short I had to pour everything into the carboy via funnel. Used Wyeast 1056. Fermentation is done. Should I rack out of primary asap to to get it off the trub, yeast and big fat floating blob of whole hops and get it clearing with some gelatin and silica....or relax, have a home brew and wait till it floc's and then get it into secondary with some dry hops. :mug::drunk:

What was the OG? I'd leave it... at 4 days the yeast are still cleaning up after themselves. I don't think you have much to worry about from the hops.

10 days is probably the earliest I'd consider moving it, but, that's just me.

Yeah wouldn't worry about it. Eventually with time most things settle out and none of those things in there would really harm the beer.

I made one of my best IPAs having done exactly what you describe. I left it in primary for 10 days at 70 deg then I let it sit at 60 deg for a couple weeks. It came out brilliantly clear!

gotsumbeers said:
I made one of my best IPAs having done exactly what you describe. I left it in primary for 10 days at 70 deg then I let it sit at 60 deg for a couple weeks. It came out brilliantly clear!

Sold! I won't worry about it, and I will let it do it's thing. Just got amped up due to a bad brew day and a few posts I read about the hops breaking down.

It's an IPA, don't think it's going to have any negative effect. The only thing that would be a issue is if your trying to match a clone, flavor may not be exactly the same. But if your not attempting to make a exact clone and doing a side by side test, you have nothing to worry about.

On a side note, if you followed and documented your process. I would remake the same beer on your next batch (so you do not have to judge age to much) and make sure the whole hops do not make it into the carboy, and do a taste test of the difference. Don't think there will be much of a difference, but it will be a good test to find out.

socalhomebrewer said:
It's an IPA, don't think it's going to have any negative effect. The only thing that would be a issue is if your trying to match a clone, flavor may not be exactly the same. But if your not attempting to make a exact clone and doing a side by side test, you have nothing to worry about.

On a side note, if you followed and documented your process. I would remake the same beer on your next batch (so you do not have to judge age to much) and make sure the whole hops do not make it into the carboy, and do a taste test of the difference. Don't think there will be much of a difference, but it will be a good test to find out.

It wasn't a clone really. I took the Pliny clone recipe for the malt, used different hops and made it a late hop beer only. I was really worried initially because of sanitation and I didn't know what off flavors hops in primary might cause. I actually have it dry hopping right now and should be kegging it up this weekend. If it turns out awesome I will follow the exact same process but just bag my flameout hops so I can pull them after I get down to temp. Smells great so far.... Fingers crossed.

Back