Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Who has the best recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
cbsdizzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Who has the best recipe?

Who thinks they have thebest ALE recipe? Preferrably something with maybe some honey or cream. I am new to brewing so please dont give any technical recipes. Just some base types. I really appreciate it. Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the best recipe on the planet. For sure. Ask anybody here. If they say, "who's monk?", just tell them, "Y'know, that guy who sometimes asks super newbie questions for his friend...because his friend doesn't have a computer...but not cuz he doesn't know the answer already...no, not the guy who just pushed his rubber stopper through the top of the carboy on saturday, and it's still floating in the ESB...a different one."

Okay. Truth be told, this isn't the best recipe ever, but it's easy, cheap, and tastes pretty darn good.

6 lbs. Pale Liquid Malt Extract
1.4 lbs. Amber Liquid Malt Extract
1.5 oz. of Cascade hops (boil for 58 min)
1 oz. of Cascade hops (boil for last 2 min)
Dry Ale Yeast

Directions: Boil 1.5 gallons of water in a 3 gallons--12 quart-- (or bigger) pot. When the water comes to a boil, remove the pot from the burner and add all of the Malt extract to the hot water. Stir till it dissolves. Bring the contents of the pot to a boil again, add 1.5 oz of hops, and let it boil for 58 minutes. Then add the 1 oz. of hops and let it continue to boil for 2 more minutes. Turn off the flame and cover the pot with aluminum foil. Put the covered pot in the sink and let it sit in some cold water. Now put 3 gallons of cold, cold water in your bucket/carboy. When you can hold your hand against the side of the pot for 30 seconds without it being too hot, add the contents of the pot to the cold water in your fermenting bucket/carboy. Top up the carboy/bucket to the 5 gallon mark. Cover it and wait till it's about 70 degrees F. Then pitch the contents of your yeast packet onto the surface of your wort. Let it sit for a few minutes and then seal the fermenter. Wait 2 weeks, then bottle according to whatever directions you like to use. I'm sure you went and read howtobrew.com

Like I said. I'm a newbie too. I don't know much, but I know that what I just told you will yield you better beer than you can buy at a cheapy AM/PM store. Good luck.

Monk

Old 05-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry, I forgot about the "honey or cream" part. I don't know if you want to add cream...that doesn't sound right. If you mean a "cream ale", I think those are made with a small addition of rice extract and Saaz or tettnanger hops (instead of the Cascade), though I could be wrong.
As for honey, you could add a pound to the aforementioned recipe.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really hate to send people to other brewing sites, because HBT really is the best, but here are a couple of links to a ton of recipes for newbies and advanced brewers alike:

http://brewery.org/brewery/gambmug/gambmug.shtml

http://brewery.org/brewery/cm3/CatsMeow3.html

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 05-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

I swear I have the best ale recipe, but if I post it everyone will have it and then what will I do. What do you mean by cream in your beer, are you talking dairy?

Old 05-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

oh, i see what he's trying to do here. he's trying to pit us all against each other and while we're spending all our time on here arguing with each other, cbsdizzo will be stealing our jobs, eating our food, and screwing our wives.... i'm not falling for it.
i have the best recipe...EVER.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Cream? Don't put cream in beer.

I wouldn't advise putting honey in beer either...personally I don't think much of the flavor. Just to reassure myself of that I threw some honey in a brew a few weeks ago...good beer except for the honey flavor. Remember, the flavor contributed will be the *fermented* flavor of honey...not that of raw honey...and in the end we're making beer not cookies, right?

I have a TON of great ale recipes. But since ale can be a light Pale Ale, a Porter, a Stout or any number of other things, I'm not sure which you're after. I will say, don't add dairy to any beer ever.

Cheers

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 05-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Its mine, mine I tell you, mine. Mine, all mine and I ain't sharin it with nobody, not ever, no way, no how. You can't make me, nobody can, not even that guy next to you.

What am I saying? This isn't like me. Gawd, what poison is this thread spreading in our once peaceful little brew village? It it evil I tell you and we must purge ourselves of it. Fire, that is the answer. Burn cbsdizzo with fire and steal all his beer and his recipes too! That will show him.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Pastor, we all know your recipe. First you boil 2 gallons of water, add a pound of molasses, some bay leaves, a cup of cloves, some pomegranate juice and some Sprite. Boil that and add cardamon and thyme. Then ferment with bread yeast for 4 months before transferring to secondary.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
Pastor, we all know your recipe. First you boil 2 gallons of water, add a pound of molasses, some bay leaves, a cup of cloves, some pomegranate juice and some Sprite. Boil that and add cardamon and thyme. Then ferment with bread yeast for 4 months before transferring to secondary.
You forgot the NyQuill...

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Quick Reply