Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Who else bought 2 pounds of pellet hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Who else bought 2 pounds of pellet hops

So who else on this forum bought two pounds of pellet hops in anticipation of this winters upcoming hop shortage? I did, but fear opening the large vaccuum sealed bags that are in my freezer, any ideas about what to do with them once the vaccuum sealed bag is openend. I was thinking of putting them in smaller zip lock bags and back in the freezer, but I am wondering if anyone knows of better ways of keeping them from being oxidized.

Additionally does anyone have a way of guaging the weight of the hops without a scale. I don't have one and since prior to this purchase I used to buy them by the ounce, I would usually just guess when I had to do a half ounce of something. I am somewhat regretting not buying about 30 different one ounce packs. Also

Oh and if you haven't got your hops for the winter yet, I would go do it now.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I use a food saver and split them up with about 4oz in each bag. I suppose you could come up with some kind of generic conversion between a measuring cup and its weight but I'd really recommend just buying a scale.

A really cheap scale should be less than 10 bucks.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Kubed

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon
I use a food saver and split them up with about 4oz in each bag. I suppose you could come up with some kind of generic conversion between a measuring cup and its weight but I'd really recommend just buying a scale.

A really cheap scale should be less than 10 bucks.
Someplace like target or walmart will have something you can use. However if you look around there's some really nice one's online.
Bottled: IPA, Hefeweizen, Magic Hat #9 clone, CCA, Apfelwein, Panty Dropping Apple Cider
Kegged: Belgian White PM, Orfy's Hob Goblin

Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #4
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a large order about a week before the price increase. So I did get almost 2lbs of Magnum pellet and about another 17lbs of leaf hops.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39974

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought about a day after the increase (DOH!). Have about 5 lb of pellets coming. Probably major overkill but maybe it'll prod me to brew more often... Also hedging against a complete lack of availability later in winter/spring.
I guess now I need to buy one of those food saver dealies, or borrow a friend's.
When I didn't have a scale, I used to pull out 4 identical bowls and visually split the hops into them. This was actually fairly precise, I recommend it if you can't swing a scale yet.

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 10-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought some of my commonly used hops for the year before the increase. I have opened two of the larger bags and stuck em in air-tight containers in my freezer for the time being.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Yep, bought 3lbs last week in preparation, gives me a total of close to 6lbs of hops in the freezer. Get a scale from wal-mart, literally 3 or 4 bucks and it weighs out down to a half ounce, so you can kind of eye 1/4 or 1/3ounce. Or just weight out a half ounce and split it in half. Anyway, very cheap alternative to digital scales. You can also get those hanging scales used for letters for about 2 or 3 bucks at gas stations/pharmacies.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yup, I bought 5lbs. I just picked up a cheap scale at target for $15 or so.

I split them into 1oz increments, put them into sandwich sized freezer bags and put those into a big freezer bag. I also used one of those small co2 powered keyboard cleaners to purge the small bags of air. Then the whole shebang went into a box into the fridge.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Wow that's alot of hops

You guys have 4, 5 or even 6 pounds of hops sitting around your places. That is alot of hops, two pounds should last me through the winter, but you make it sound like I should buy another pound to be safe. The problem is that buying a whole pound really limits the recipes and flavors you can do. So now I pose this hypothetical question. If you were only able to have 3 types of hops, what three types would you buy to be able to brew the most recipes. I have two pounds coming, but am not contemplaing a third or fourth, but am at a loss as to what ones would be most versitile. Any suggestions.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 10-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Depends on what styles you brew often. You can use the same hops for lots of different styles.

I bought

EKG
Fuggles
Cenntenial
Cascade
Hallertau

Quick Reply