Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > White Rajah Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #41
rjschroed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Most people who keg their homebrew force carbonate. (My method is to hit it with 30 to 35 lbs, disconnect the co2, let it sit that way for a day or two and then hook it up at serving pressure, it takes 7-10 days to carb up this way. It works for me bc I have one regulator and I'm not into rushing my beers anyways) Most commercial breweries force carbonate also. I'm sure bottle conditioning would change the taste. For what its worth, I have no reason to believe that the commercial example I go and my beer are more than a week apart in age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #42
sauce
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just was made aware of this thread, thanks for your interest guys....a few thoughts:

The British flag in the label art is just an homage to the country of origin.

The grain bill is a lil off as are the hops. There are currently 5 hops in Rajah, with the recent addition of a new Zealand hop to stretch out the aforemntioned Citra. Her'es a couple hints....one hop that has been mentioned isnt used at all. As for malt, one base malt, one crystal type malt, one "specialty" malt and one non malt.

.....keep tryin, i will steer ya all in the right direction ;-)

JackK
Head Brewer
TBK Production Works

Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #43
rjschroed
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce View Post
Just was made aware of this thread, thanks for your interest guys....a few thoughts:

The British flag in the label art is just an homage to the country of origin.

The grain bill is a lil off as are the hops. There are currently 5 hops in Rajah, with the recent addition of a new Zealand hop to stretch out the aforemntioned Citra. Her'es a couple hints....one hop that has been mentioned isnt used at all. As for malt, one base malt, one crystal type malt, one "specialty" malt and one non malt.

.....keep tryin, i will steer ya all in the right direction ;-)

JackK
Head Brewer
TBK Production Works
Thanks for the reply and the help. I've got a lot of different recipe variations floating around this thread. For my clarification, is this the recipe your giving us hints on?

28lbs 2-row
1lbs c-40
1lbs red wheat

1.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] (60 min) Hops 43.8 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] (30 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [10.30 %] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
2.00 oz Citra [13.90 %] (15 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [11.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo [10.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
3.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo [10.30 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

If that is the case, I could see some sort of toasted malt in a small quantity instead of the wheat(Victory, Biscuit, or Melanoiden). Is the non malt your talking about is a simple sugar to help dry it out? I've been thinking about it more over the last few days and its possible that your using a more sharp bittering hop like Chinook. The hop I'm using that I've been playing around with getting rid of is amarillo. So, Chinook, Centennial, Citra, Columbus plus the NZ variety that I'd have to do some research on. The 5th hop that immediately came to mind for me was galaxy but that is an Australian variety, Nelson Sauvin is a NZ variety but I don't know how similar that is to citra. I'll have to do some more "research" later on tonight now that I've got some hints.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #44
ThomEHof
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschroed View Post
Thanks for the reply and the help. I've got a lot of different recipe variations floating around this thread. For my clarification, is this the recipe your giving us hints on?
I'd ditch the Armarillo. BK tends to like hops that begin with the letter "C". It may be Chinook, or Cascade.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #45
BrunstuckyJoe
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I would think the Centennial is the culprit.....I taste the Amarillo.
And I've brewed with Galaxy, and it's similar to Citra in it's taste.
I do realize that Galaxy is Australian...I've had their firkins infused with Nelson Sauvin and they are really good.
I've probably drank more Rajah when I can get it than most people in this area.
I even named my female dobe "Rajah".

Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #46
Jrod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here are my thoughts. Based on the above comments and my email from the brewery I think its most likely 2row, c40, victory, and table sugar to dry it out. Hops are Centennial, Amarillo, Citra, (nelson,or galaxy), and maybe something like magnum to bitter. Any thoughs on that?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #47
rjschroed
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I thought I tasted amarillo in it too but after tasting what I have there may not be, At the very least it needs to either be reduced or removed from the dry hop. In my opinion, there is definitely classic centennial grapefruit in the flavor and the nose. Columbus might be the hop that doesn't belong. Columbus is a workhorse around my brewery but I am not really sure detect it in Rajah. Columbus is a pretty smooth bittering hop and in my recipe for Hoptimus Prime I either bittered with the wrong hop or not enough of it because the bittering was smoother than Rajah. I'm not for certain but my guess, NZ hop excluded, Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra. It seem we all agree on it being some combination of 4 of these 5 hops: Columbus, Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra. I don't know if this is helpful or not but TBK sells homebrew supplies. It seems to me they probably sell the same stuff they are using. Here is that list: http://www.thebrewkettle.com/bop/homebrewprice.pdf

I'm on board with 2-row, c-40, victory, sugar.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #48
BrunstuckyJoe
Recipes 

Clear your msgs...it said it was full, rjschroed.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #49
BrunstuckyJoe
Recipes 

I don't taste the nutty taste of the Victory. I think it's a wheat grain....in a small amt.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #50
BrunstuckyJoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschroed View Post
I thought I tasted amarillo in it too but after tasting what I have there may not be, At the very least it needs to either be reduced or removed from the dry hop. In my opinion, there is definitely classic centennial grapefruit in the flavor and the nose. Columbus might be the hop that doesn't belong. Columbus is a workhorse around my brewery but I am not really sure detect it in Rajah. Columbus is a pretty smooth bittering hop and in my recipe for Hoptimus Prime I either bittered with the wrong hop or not enough of it because the bittering was smoother than Rajah. I'm not for certain but my guess, NZ hop excluded, Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra. It seem we all agree on it being some combination of 4 of these 5 hops: Columbus, Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra. I don't know if this is helpful or not but TBK sells homebrew supplies. It seems to me they probably sell the same stuff they are using. Here is that list: http://www.thebrewkettle.com/bop/homebrewprice.pdf

I'm on board with 2-row, c-40, victory, sugar.
I think you might be right about the Chinook instead of the Columbus for bittering.....so I'd agree with Chinook, Centennial, Citra, Amarillo and the nz variety....but I've used the Victory from there and get a distinct nutty taste to my beer.

Quick Reply