Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > whiskey beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I think a porter would take this whiskey flavoring well. I know I've had a vanilla burbon porter that really impressed me, and removing the vanilla aspect wouldn't hurt it by any means.

Start with your favorite porter recipe. Prior to brewing, put some oak chips on a fifth of Makers Mark and let it sit for 3 months. Remove the chips, add them to the secondary carboy for a couple weeks, at bottling/kegging, add a few ounces of that Makers Mark that had the chips in it to the bottling bucket/corny keg.

That would be my recommendation. I've never tired this, but my mouth waters just thinking about it. I just might have to try this...

TB

1. Oktoberfest 2. Oktoberfest 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Cali Common, IPA, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout x2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #22
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiber_Brew View Post
I think a porter would take this whiskey flavoring well. I know I've had a vanilla burbon porter that really impressed me, and removing the vanilla aspect wouldn't hurt it by any means.

Start with your favorite porter recipe. Prior to brewing, put some oak chips on a fifth of Makers Mark and let it sit for 3 months. Remove the chips, add them to the secondary carboy for a couple weeks, at bottling/kegging, add a few ounces of that Makers Mark that had the chips in it to the bottling bucket/corny keg.

That would be my recommendation. I've never tired this, but my mouth waters just thinking about it. I just might have to try this...

TB
would i really need to soak the chips for 3 months?? i was hoping to try this as soon as i plan out a recipe

how much oak chips would i need?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #23
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefingers23 View Post
would i really need to soak the chips for 3 months?? i was hoping to try this as soon as i plan out a recipe

how much oak chips would i need?
A lot of that is up to you, but when me and some buddies brewed something before that involved soaking something in whiskey, we let it soak for 3 months. You could probably get away with a couple weeks, but if you have the time, soak as long as you can.

As far as how much oak chips, I'd say about a cup to 1.5 cups is what I'd use. That will also depend on how much oak chip flavor you want. Keep in mind the oak chips are toasted not charred like burbon barrels are. They impart an entirely different flavor than a whiskey barrel does, hence the soaking in whiskey for an extended period of time beforehand.

TB
1. Oktoberfest 2. Oktoberfest 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Bourbon Barrel Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Cali Common, IPA, Bohemian Pils, Chocolate Milk Stout x2

Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #24
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

over the week end took a bottle of the "ed worts robust porter" that i brewed a while ago, and i tried adding some whiskey to the beer. I tried one glass with just the beer, 1 glass with 1/2 ounce of whiskey, and another with 1 ounce of whiskey. I must say that it tasted pretty good, not so much whiskey taste that it over powers the beer, just a slight note of whiskey.

But for some reason i see this working with a brown beer, anyone have any recomended brown ale recipes?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #25
krebs119
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I might be a little late to comment on this thread, but I brewed something similar to this about a year ago. I took AHS's Oaked Porter and added some Maker's to it. I essentially brewed the kit as per the directions. I took the oak chips that came with the kit, soaked them in a pint glass full of Maker's for about 2 weeks (during my primary essentially). Then I put the beer in secondary, and poured the oak chips and bourbon right in. I let that sit for maybe another month and bottled.

My results were a very smooth beer, with a great taste. Early on I really tasted the bourbon, but it seemed to mellow out over time. I had one of the last bottles about a month ago and the oak tastes seems to really be there now, with less of the bourbon. It's still a REALLY smooth beer, and turned out to be one of the favorites of all of my beer (and bourbon) snob friends. They still talk about it to this day, which they don't do about most of the rest of my brews.

I decided to take another shot at this soon. In November I brewed AHS's Our Special Holiday Ale and it turned out great. For xmas, my sister ended up getting me the same kit. It takes me a few months to kick a keg in my place, so I decided to to tweak the kit a bit this time. I'm going to brew it as per directions, plus a few lbs of dme. Like the Oaked Porter, I'm going to let it ferment itself, then when it's done I'm going to add oak chips again, which I will have soaked in bourbon again. I also decided to add 2-3 vanilla beans (also in the bourbon soak). The Holiday Ale comes with a spice pack which I won't use (it gives a complex gingerbread cookie taste, which I'm not looking for in a bourbon beer). I'm probably going to let this age a bit longer than last time.

I highly recommend trying this, especially if you're a bourbon drinker. I would suggest a wee heavy, porter, or stout though - MAYBE a brown.

I got my idea for this from a brewery in Kentucky. My friend brought home a few of these and shared them with me and I thought they were fantastic! http://www.kentuckyale.com/beer/Pages/KentuckyBourbonBarrelAle.aspx

Another good one that is similar is Bourbon County from Goose Island. I can find this a lot easier than the Kentucky brew. They are both sipping beers, and both are fantastic.

Good Luck!

Old 03-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #26
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So this is my plan;
I'm going to soak an ounce or two oak chips in a fifth of bourbon for a few weeks, at the same time I'll be fermenting a robust porter, and when I rack to secondary I'll add the bourbon and oak chips for 2 - 3 weeks, and then bottle.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this, and if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it

Old 03-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #27
krebs119
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds good! I've done essentially this a few times now and it works out really well!

Old 03-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #28
electric_beer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you can find out any info on Angel's Share by Lost Abbey you will be damn close to whiskey beer. Try that beer and tell me it isn't reminiscent. Its aged in oak as well.

Also I would use oak cube and not chips. Chips have a ton of surface area and can over oak easily.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just bottled a mini-mash kit from my local homebrew store called "Whiskey A-Go-Go". It involved me putting 1 pint of whiskey into a bag with cedar chips in it the night before brew day and then adding the bag of chips and whiskey to the fermenter.

On bottling day the brew smelled very whiskey like but not overpowering by any means. I am very excited to see how it ends up after 3 weeks conditioning and then again as it ages every few weeks after.

I can post the recipe from the homebrew store later today when i get home

Old 04-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #30
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok so i still havnt made this beer, im in the process of buying my first house, and have put brewing on hold until i get my house.

Anyways tonight i was at the local hardware store and noticed that they had oak chips made from old whiskey barrels in the bbq section, and was wondering if anyone has ever tried these for making beer?

Quick Reply