Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Whiskey Barrel flavor without a whiskey barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
Otterella
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Whiskey Barrel flavor without a whiskey barrel?

I will be brewing Midwest's 80 /- kit and would like to add a whiskey barrel flavor. Everything I find online calls for actual whiskey barrel chips, but I don't have this. My plan was to soak oak chips in scotch, but I need a little guidance. How much oak should I use? How long should I soak them and in how much whiskey? Should I add them to the secondary or earlier? How long should I leave it in the secondary after adding the oak? How will the added whiskey change the ABV?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Whalewang
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Look up Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter recipe. I believe he uses adds whiskey and oak chips separately.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I soaked 1.5 ounces of medium toast oak cubes in Old Bushmills for 2 weeks prior to adding to secondary. I did not add any of the liquid, just the cubes...I like the way the beer turned out (Old Ale), you know the oak and whiskey is there but it's subtle.

Use 1 to 1.5 ounces of cubes per 5 gallons. I'm not sure about chips, I only use cubes in my wine and beer making.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
MobyMD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I did something similar on my whiskey porter. 1oz of the heavy toasted American oak chips soaked in 250ml whiskey. I let that sit for a week and a half in a mason jar. I added both the chips and the whiskey to the beer and then let that sit for another few weeks. The oak was a little strong at first but it has mellowed nicely after a few months. The whiskey adds a little bump to the ABV but I would not imagine very much. I think the added flavor of the whiskey is great.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Oak chips and whiskey work will....go with good whiskey that you enjoy...start off with a small amount and taste...if you want more add more...remember you can always add...you can't take out

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 11-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Whiskey is essentially vodka that's been stored in charred oak for long enough to extract vanillin, caramellized sugars and other compounds. Scotch is generally put in barrels that bourbon makers are done with, so it will have smaller amounts of these flavors. If you soak oak in whiskey, you're transferring some of the oakiness from the oak to the whiskey, not the other way around. You can get the flavors you want with whiskey, or from oak cubes or chips available in the wine section of your LHBS or online. Chips work a little faster than cubes, but give a less complex flavor. As far as the time goes, you leave it on the oak until it tastes oaky enough for you.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Dr_Jeff
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I took 2 oak spirals, heavy toast, broke them in half, put them in a pint mason jar, and filled it with Canadian Mist, let it set for a week and topped up the jar, let it sit another week as the beer was finishing, then transferred the beer to a Hoff-Stevens keg, added the spirals and the whiskey, and 2 ounces of hops and sealed the keg. Let it sit in the H-S for ~2 months then transferred it to serving kegs. The whiskey, the oak and the hops were very prominent, and most people enjoy it. I am on the last keg now.

Quick Reply