Where to store bulk hops long term...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjacobs

Reaction score
I just received my shipment of 5 lbs of hops. The question now is, where is the best place to keep these long term? They're vacuum sealed in standard hop packaging - should they go in the freezer? Fridge? Cool closet?

freezer is best

+1 Freezer is best, especially a deep freeze if available.

After opening I use the Ziploc brand Hand Vacuum pump and their bags, which removes most of the Oxygen that causes degradation. Great to see there are some great hop buys and everyone is taking advantage of them. Since you saved quite a bit, invest a little in some type of vacuum system and prolong their life.:mug:

I've found an inexpensive way to store my hops long term in a vacuum sealed jar. Can't take credit for this idea as I saw it posted on a website about how to make salads in a jar. I'm currently conducting an experiment on 1 empty jar to see if it works.
I picked up a Ziploc hand operated vacuum food storage starter kit that included 3 quart freezer bags at Walmart for just over $4.00. I then took a 1 quart wide mouth mason jar with the ring to hold the cap tight along with a "new" lid made by Ball and placed the lid and ring on the jar. Took a thumb tack and pushed it though the middle of the lid in order to create a small hole in the lid. Covered this hole with a piece of vinyl electrical tape about 1/2" long and sealed it down to the lid. I placed the vacuum pump centered over the hole and pushed down on it to seal it firmly against the lid and started pumping. I don't know for certain how the pump was able to pull the air out of the jar through the tape, but it worked GREAT! Created enough vacuum to pull the lid down tight on the jar. The vacuum is strong enough to pull the tape down into the pin hole I made in the lid. I did check the vacuum once last night and you could hear a nice strong sounding vacuum release when I pealed back the tape to expose the pin hole. When the tape wears out, you just replace it with a new piece of tape.
I left it overnight and the jar was still maintaining a vacuum. I placed the empty jar in the freezer this morning to see how the -0° temperatures would affect the vacuum inside the jar and will check on it tonight and will keep you posted on the progress of this experiment.
If this works, its a lot cheaper than buying an expensive vacuum food storage system.

I've found an inexpensive way to store my hops long term in a vacuum sealed jar. Can't take credit for this idea as I saw it posted on a website about how to make salads in a jar. I'm currently conducting an experiment on 1 empty jar to see if it works.
I picked up a Ziploc hand operated vacuum food storage starter kit that included 3 quart freezer bags at Walmart for just over $4.00. I then took a 1 quart wide mouth mason jar with the ring to hold the cap tight along with a "new" lid made by Ball and placed the lid and ring on the jar. Took a thumb tack and pushed it though the middle of the lid in order to create a small hole in the lid. Covered this hole with a piece of vinyl electrical tape about 1/2" long and sealed it down to the lid. I placed the vacuum pump centered over the hole and pushed down on it to seal it firmly against the lid and started pumping. I don't know for certain how the pump was able to pull the air out of the jar through the tape, but it worked GREAT! Created enough vacuum to pull the lid down tight on the jar. The vacuum is strong enough to pull the tape down into the pin hole I made in the lid. I did check the vacuum once last night and you could hear a nice strong sounding vacuum release when I pealed back the tape to expose the pin hole. When the tape wears out, you just replace it with a new piece of tape.
I left it overnight and the jar was still maintaining a vacuum. I placed the empty jar in the freezer this morning to see how the -0° temperatures would affect the vacuum inside the jar and will check on it tonight and will keep you posted on the progress of this experiment.
If this works, its a lot cheaper than buying an expensive vacuum food storage system.

I've seen this, too, Nice, and have wanted to see how well it would work. I love using Ball and Mason jars generally and this would be great. Let us know how it works?

Oh, and welcome to HBT, Nice!

As a follow up to my post from yesterday, I took my test jar from the freezer last night and it was still holding a vacuum after being exposed to -5°F. for about 9 hours. I allowed the jar to warm up to room temperature and it was still holding a vacuum so it would appear that using the Ziploc vacuum pump and electrical tape for storing hops in a vacuum sealed mason jar is an inexpensive way to protect those precious hops purchases.

Back